Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #1

2 Problems: Fridge and then Propane

had a right rear tire shred yesterday - got home (after replacing all 4) and hooked-up to 15amp garage power - had both bottles of propane "off" - have been suspecting that fridge not cooling well - left fridge on a/c overnight and checked temp this morning - temp 71º, so NO a/c operation thru the night

turned on 1 bottle of propane and lit the stove to purge - lit for a few seconds and then went out - telling me that the bottle is empty (just bought the trailer from the largest dealership here, 2nd hand, and they said both bottles full) I switched to the other bottle and the stove burns well - leaving the bottle valve "open" to see if there's a leak in the system

(am wondering if the shredded tire could have caused a leak in the propane line, somewhere - I got under and looked but could see nothing obvious - guess having the 2nd bottle "on" will tell if after a while, it goes "emply" too..)

a question ref the fridge: Is there a way to "slide out" the fridge to see if an electrical plug might have come loose - or - is the fridge "hard wired" to the elec system ? I've replaced the 15amp fuse and opened then closed the breaker but not getting power to the fridge - all other 115v appliances operate (microwave, a/c, tv..)

any answers or suggestions would be appreciated (this being a holiday[sic] weekend means the dealership/warranty repair station is closed so would like to troubleshoot by myself 'till they're open). Thanks.....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #2

It appears that you have already checked for any obvious culprits. Remove the outside fridge access panel. Most of the connections are now exposed. Look for any obvious issues with the wiring - gently pull on wire connections to determine if any are loose. I discovered a problem with mine after doing this - one: my dealer forgot to plug in the 110v cord; and 2: the 12v connection was not crimped correctly and fell off. I also checked the fridge's manual to make sure I knew about all the switches - some are hidden. There should also be a Auto (gas, 12v, 110v) and Gas only switch.

2010 Surveyor 294
2006 Ford E-350 Van 5.4
surv294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by surv294 View Post
..Remove the outside fridge access panel. Most of the connections are now exposed. Look for any obvious issues with the wiring - gently pull on wire connections to determine if any are loose..
thanks for the reply - of course, all the "works", of everything, are on the backside of these appliances - don't know why I didn't open the panel before..

but all appears (to these non-tech eyes) to be "ok" - I unpluged the 110 and tried my elec drill in the outlet - getting elecs there.....so, that appears to be as far as my capabilities allow me to troubleshoot

I did hear the propane operating while the panel was open so I'll let that run it's route and see if the thing will cool sufficiently on gas. my fridge is a 2 way - no 9v operation.....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote