Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #21

Thanks for the help everybody! I have found several of these converters online for around $100, so I guess I'll be buying one next week and swapping this one out. I appreciate all of the help and guidance!
heygreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #22

For our pop-up, the sink had to be lifted up into position for power to the lights. Also, on one camping trip, there was an electric connector on the outside, near the underside top of the pop-up that had become disconnected, resulting in no lights. However, I don't think that would affect the furnace blower. The water pump had an additional on/off switch next to the sink to manually turn the water pump on and off.
Sugarph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #23

Sounds like converter is toasty

Kenneth, I'm with Triguy on this. Looks like your converter has roasted and done its last. I'd replace with a new unit and go forward from there.
Invest in a decent battery (Wally World isn't too bad), a Group 24 deep cycle would probably do OK for you if you plan on mainly staying in campgrounds with power and water. Take a look at this article "The 12volt side of life"
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
It has a lot of good information, I learned some tips from it.
Good luck.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #24

Thanks for weighing in Chris. One more question: Do I actually need a battery if I'll only be staying in campgrounds with full power? Just wondering... not a big deal to pick one up, but I want to be sure I get some usage out of it. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #25

Battery purchase

Kenneth, it would be best for the converter health if a battery -even a cheap one- were installed. The converter circuitry looks for the battery voltage and load to be there. If it is not there it can be unstable and might damage the converter. And just thinking here, it might have been what killed the old converter. Was a battery installed when you first looked at the unit???
I'd put a battery there.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #26

Chris, there was not a battery there, and it looked like one had never been hooked up. I think tomorrow I'll order the new converter, and once installed and working properly, I'll pick up a battery too. Thanks to everybody for all of their help!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

There is another reason to have a battery even if you have electric at all your sites, and that is in case of a power failure at the CG. We've stayed at places twice in the past where the power was lost for one reason or another. At least you'll still have lights with a battery.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #28

All very good points... will definitely pick up a battery. OK last question and we'll put this one to bed: When I'm not using the pop-up, do I just disconnect the battery and trickle charge it every now and then?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I like to disconnect through a disconnect switch. I put it on my portable charger every once in a while, but a disconnected battery will last a fair time if stored with a full charge. A good trickle charger will work fine, too.

BTW- Others leave it connected to the trailer and let the converter charge the battery. That will work, too, just make sure you periodically check the water levels.

Batteries like a full charge, so make sure to do it one way or the other.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #30

Just as a follow up, I finally got around to replacing the WFCO power converter. It fixed the issue! I ordered it from MakariosRV.com, which had the best price but very few reviews... fast shipping, good product, no complaints there. However, when I unboxed it, I noticed the manufacture date was July 2008... 4 years ago. I called WFCO, and they stated with the economic downturn, that this is fairly normal right now. They stated regardless of the manufacture date, the warranty is from the time you purchase it, for 2 years, so no issues there. Thanks again to everybody for their replies!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #31
Site Team

thanx for following up! it's always great to find out what the problem ended up being and that you are back up and ready to camp!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote