Old 06-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #1

2004 176SD with power issues

Hey everybody... I bought a 2004 Flagstaff 176SD LTD last weekend, and got a great deal on it because the guy was selling it for his in-laws, and we couldn't get the power to work on it. I work in the computer industry, and know lots of folks with electrical experience, so I figured how hard could it be to figure out. Well... I'm stumped now.

When I plug into shore power (my house), I'm getting power to all of my receptacles. However, I'm not getting power to anything else (lights in the ceiling, furnace or sink). My friend who used to do electrical work traced the AC power in and saw that it was good (120v). He also checked the fuse on the inverter board and it was good. However, no power is coming out of the board... not even to the smaller board with the LEDs on it. This would imply that the inverter board is bad, but I wanted to check here first before I went and bought one. All other fuses have been checked and are good.

Tonight I'm going to check 12V with my car battery and see what happens there, and I'll report back on that.

Many thanks in advance!

Kenneth

Old 06-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
PINTO

Make sure you are checking for 12V to the lights etc. 120V in and 12DC out. To me sounds like the inverter is bad, but please wait for others to chime in.

Chevy 3500 LTZ Dually
Kpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kenneth,
Hopefully someone with a Flagstaff pup can chime in. But, what comes to mind first is the possibility of a galley switch. I don't know if this is in your camper or not, but its a common safety switch in certain popups that is switched "on" once the galley was set up correctly. Its sometimes red in color.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpinto View Post
Make sure you are checking for 12V to the lights etc. 120V in and 12DC out. To me sounds like the inverter is bad, but please wait for others to chime in.
Good point, I didn't even think to check for 12V at each item. I'll do that tonight also.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Hi Kenneth,
Hopefully someone with a Flagstaff pup can chime in. But, what comes to mind first is the possibility of a galley switch. I don't know if this is in your camper or not, but its a common safety switch in certain popups that is switched "on" once the galley was set up correctly. Its sometimes red in color.
Hey Triguy, I'm assuming the "galley" is the sink? Just now getting up to speed on my camper lingo. ;-) Anyway, I did depress the red button on the bottom of the sink, to no avail. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heygreene View Post
Hey Triguy, I'm assuming the "galley" is the sink? Just now getting up to speed on my camper lingo. ;-) Anyway, I did depress the red button on the bottom of the sink, to no avail. Thanks!
I have seen them in some friends' campers. They called them "galley switches". I don't recall the models. One needed to flip his gas stove and sink over into an upright position in order to depress the switch to work his interior 12-volt items like the ceiling lights.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Inverter converts 12v to 120v
Converter converts 120v to 12v

You most likely do not have an inverter since it supplies 120v

You do have a converter Eucharist supplies 12v which is what your having problems with.

You need make and model which is located on power distribution panel.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #8

f1100turbo, you're right, it's actually an inverter, not a converter. See attached for a picture of it. There is 110v coming into it on the top left, but nothing going out of it on the right. Could that still be caused by the galley switch, or some other unknown switch? I've depressed the galley switch multiple times with my hand, but still no power. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	15218  
Old 06-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by heygreene View Post
f1100turbo, you're right, it's actually an inverter, not a converter. See attached for a picture of it. There is 110v coming into it on the top left, but nothing going out of it on the right. Could that still be caused by the galley switch, or some other unknown switch? I've depressed the galley switch multiple times with my hand, but still no power. Thanks.
heygreene, that's a CONVERTER, not an inverter.

all RV's come with a CONVERTER. only a few come with a inverter installed from the factory, usually motorhomes. and that's to run 110vAC items on battery power, when you don't have shore power.

people always get these terms mixed up.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
heygreene, that's a CONVERTER, not an inverter.

all RV's come with a CONVERTER. only a few come with a inverter installed from the factory, usually motorhomes. and that's to run 110vAC items on battery power, when you don't have shore power.

people always get these terms mixed up.
Thanks Bikendan! Any idea why I'm getting juice into it, but not out? Can the galley switch or some kind of other kill switch cause that, or does this just imply a bad converter board? Thanks.