Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #1

2013 Puma 31DBTS DVD problems

Hello all we just took delivery of our new trailer and we just found that our DVD/radio/CD player only plays DVDs in black and white and in poor resolution. Anyone else have this problem? The TV is a Toshiba(from the PUMA factory) not sure what the model DVD player is but it is brand new and has bluetooth.

2012 F150 Ecoboost with Max Tow 3.73 Rear
2013 Puma 31DBTS
12K Equal-i-zer
Aquaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #2

could be in your cable wires that connect it to the Television. will they not cover it under the warranty?
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #3

If it is the Concertone model, it likely only has a standard composite (red, white, yellow) output- no HDMI or component. If that is the case, you will only get 480i resolution. I know my Genesis that came with mine was that way. Wouldn't explain no color output- but I'd recommend getting the Jensen model and replace it if it is the Genesis model with no HDMI. My Jensen(can't remember model number, but made for RV's) has a little glitch where it will reboot on ocassion after 10 or so minutes of playing, but starts right back up and works fine afterwards. Much better video quality and there is a connector where an external antenna can be added allowing you to control the radio from another room or outside.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
The two most likely culprits are the RCA video connector (Yellow) is plugged into the wrong input OR you need to change the TV video setup to Video (instead of Colorstream). Your particular Toshiba uses a combination composite/component video input and the TV needs to be told which you are using. See page 50 of your Toshiba Manual...

Not all of the alternative radios mentioned have HDMI outputs either, so when giving advice you might want to recommend specific model numbers.

If you want to maintain Bluetooth functionality, the ONLY Bluetooth Unit on the market with HDMI connectivity is our GT3.0. :-)
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #5

Bob,

I just have to ask- what were you guys thinking when you designed a DVD player that wouldn't at least send a 720p signal? That worked in the late 90's, but everyone absolutely expects an HD signal via DVD today. I liked the Genesis, but no way could I handle a 480 signal on a 32" TV. And many RV's have even bigger TV's than that, which would result in even worse picture. Don't mean to sound like a know it all here, but if you guys would incorporate an HDMI output and a remote IR hookup, you'd have a MUCH better unit. Many RV's have a swivel TV that is used for the living/kitchen area and also the master bedroom- so being able to control the unit from both places is a must.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Owner - RVtronics

We were thinking we should provide our customers (RV manufacturers and consumers) with price point / feature choices that make sense for them. It is not a "one size fits all world."

Currently we offer three levels of product choices:
1. AM/FM/CD Player
2. AM/FM/CD/DVD/Bluetooth
3 AM/FM/CD/DVD/Weatherband/Bluetooth/HDMI Connectivity/5.1 Surround Sound

Your questions towards us are not valid in that we have addressed them via our product choices, but unfortunately for both of us the features you want are not in the model you chose. That is more of a purchase decision than a product capability question isn't it?

That said, I agree with your base assumptions and think you (and everyone else) should upgrade to the GT3.0 which is the only 12 Volt, RV, 5.1 Surround Sound System with Bluetooth and HDMI connectivity! :-)

And by the way, our middle option (which has been on the market for about two years now) the GT2.0 DVD Player with Bluetooth and Composite Video output is the same video output as our competitors recently released Bluetooth unit. If you want HDMI on their other DVD systems, you lose the Bluetooth. Again, these are simply pricing / feature choices.

Lastly and a shameless plug, anyone wanting to upgrade to to a GT3.0 can get a Factory Refreshed Unit with a $50 Rebate at ZX800 Refreshed Units
(781) 281-9440
Old 05-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #7

I have worked in the mobile electronics field for over 15 years as well, so I'm not new to the game and how things work. I just don't see the point in offering any DVD player in today's market that is sending video signal in a 480i format. And, for the record, mine wasn't a "purchase decision" per se considering it was the unit that was installed as a factory item. I don't even think the 3.0 was out when I purchased my camper in Fall 2011, so I was forced to seek a different brand to get a clean video signal. Glad to hear you have a unit now that actually has HDMI. Still, I was shocked to see a top of the line unit like the 2.0 was at the time only had composite video output, especially at it's price point.

Edit: Maybe consider adding HDMI to the 2.0 and market it as HD??? Gives it an edge over the competition, especially if you point out the lack of HDMI output on their model. I know I, and MANY campers have no use for 5.1 because of the layout of the floorplan, but would still like an HD picture.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
Owner - RVtronics

Again I have no issues with your position, but my answer is accurate and every other supplier is "guilty" in your estimation.

On some level I find it interesting that you are pinging on just the picture quality issue of the HDMI, what about true 5.1 surround sound? Picture quality is important, but sound accuracy not so much? :-)
(781) 281-9440
Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #9

My camper actually uses the same TV for the bedroom and living area- it swivels within the entertainment center. I could see the 5.1 being a great feature in the rear and front living models, but not so much any other floorplan. After all, to actually take advantage of 5.1 surround accurately, you have to be at least somewhat positioned correctly between all speakers. This isn't really feasible in many floorplans, at least not for more than 1 or 2 potential viewers. To pointedly answer your question, yes, picture quality in a DVD player is more important than 5.1. But not more important than sound quality. Would you listen to a CD player that exhibited poor sound quality- as in sounded like a tape? Neither would I. Yet watching a DVD at 480 is like watching a VHS.