Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #1

2014 Georgetown water heater switch

Just wanted to clarify something.

In the main water heater compartment, there is a switch that I believe turns the water heater on by using electricity, is that correct? Inside the motorhome on the control panel, there is also a water heater switch, but I believe that turns on the water heater but with LP Gas, right?

I've actually turned the switch outside to "off" because I was worried that if it was left "on", then the water heater would be on even when the motorhome was not plugged in.

Am I correct with this?
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #2

No, it can't be on with the outside switch unless you're plugged in, but you are very right to keep it turned off most of the time. If you plug in to shore power without water in the tank, you will burn out the electric heating element in a very few seconds.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
No, it can't be on with the outside switch unless you're plugged in, but you are very right to keep it turned off most of the time. If you plug in to shore power without water in the tank, you will burn out the electric heating element in a very few seconds.
I misquoted myself. What I meant to say was that if the switch was left on, then whenever it's plugged into shore power, the heater would be on.

So probably on longer trips, turn the switch on outside to use electricity. Wish they hadn't put the switch outside.
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #4

I don't like the switch outside. I leave mine on and use the breaker to turn it in and off.
Priusron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #5

x2 on the breaker, there is also a mod in the mods section where you can wire a switch inside for electric off the breaker. This way, you don't have to keep using the breaker as a switch. I haven't done the mod and currently haven't had time to do it so the breaker works fine for us. Why use the propane when you can use electric that you paid for at the site.

However, like most of us, I suggest using the propane for quick recovery when you are planning on using showers.
Flagstaffer06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, heater, water, water heater