Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
Ned

2014 Georgetown whirlpool fridge not working on battery power

Hi- my 351DS's residential fridge should stopped working on battery power. Had to ride the last 200 miles of a 2300 mile trip with the generator running. Fridge works on generator and shore power. The little green status light by the stairs for the PowerSW is working. Any thoughts on how to check the inverter or what else I should look at? Thanks in advance. --- Ned
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:25 PM   #2

try some of these things.

1) disconnect from TV

2) shut off or disconnect all batteries

3) Check circuit breaker

4) reconnect the batteries in RV. Make sure you inverter is on. Do you get a error code on inverter? Does your inverter show the voltage for the batteries? My understanding is if you do not have sufficient voltage in the batteries, the inverter will not work. It might be to your advantage when stopping, to connect a charger to the batteries while stopped.
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #3

it seems to be xantrex inverter. it will also have a small transfer switch to switch between shore power and the inverter. the refrigerator will be plugged into this transfer switch. there will be a power cord from the transfer switch to the inverter output receptacle. check to see if this cord is plugged into the inverter.

the receptacle on the inverter is a gfci receptacle. check to see that it is not tripped. many people have reported problems with these gcfi receptacles tripping and not being able to be reset.

plug a radio or light into the inverter receptacle to verify whether the inverter is putting out 110 vac.

as mentioned check inverter for error codes or low battery voltage.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:00 PM   #4

My Xantrex inverter had a pass through circuit where 110 power was directly wired into the inverter. The receptacle on the inverter itself was not used so I use it as a convenience outlet when plugged into shore (land) power. I did have a experience when I did get a power surge but everything was protected by a hardwired Progressive Industries management system. Incidentally, I recommend installing that as well.

Anyway, I cut power everywhere and checked each thing individually. I even checked the output terminals of the on board converter (converts 110 ac to 12 v dc). That was good. I did notice the the GFI receptacle on the inverter had popped. I did reset that as well but I do not think that was the problem that I had when I lost power. Subsequently I think when I cut off all AC and DC power, it resolved itself.

Anyway, it seems like a little exploration might be in order. I am sure by doing thee steps, you may find the source or no power for your refrigerator. My jut feeling is the inverter shut down due to low voltage at the batteries. I assume you have checked the charging circuit for the batteries?
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
Ned

I just tried plugging in a lamp to the gfci reptcl and there is no power. The gfci appears to be tripped but will not reset. The indicator light on the units panel is green (no red fault light showing), the digital read out is cycling "000" & "921".
Old 07-30-2017, 08:30 PM   #6
Ned

Also, the RV control panel is showing batteries at charge
Old 07-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #7

probably time to call xantrex. there have been many posts about the gfcis the use not being able to be reset. i'm not sure they can do anything as it is probably out of warranty but at least call to see what they have to say. you have proven there is no 110 volt coming out of the inverter.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:57 PM   #8

Whirlpool fridge

Sounds stupid , but it happened to me. Check the battery disconnect switch to make sure it's in the right position. I had no power to inverter, power slides or leveling system. Turned disconnect back on all worked . Don't know how it got turned off because it's in a locked compartment
litespan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:59 PM   #9

the inverter must be turned on. my 2014 georgetown xl has it located just inside the door behind the passenger seat. the fridge needs 120 volts. it will automatically run without inverter when plugged into shore power or gen running. when driving or stopped without shore power or gen, you must turn on inverter to use coach batteries to provide 120 volts thru the inverter.
jrowe0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:48 PM   #10
Ned

My inverter has a remote on switch by the stairs as you enter the RV. It is functioning properly. I have also turned on the inverter manually but there still is no voltage at its receptacle. The last thing I'll try before buying a new one is remove an access panel to get at the inverter and verify the + and - connections are tight on the back of the unit. Once I've gone that far, I may disassemble the unit to see how hard it is to replace the gfci receptacle.

Tags
2014, battery, fridge, georgetown, power