Old 05-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #1

2014 Salem DVD & Surround sound

I'm not happy with the volume from the DVD playing through the built in surround sound. Even at max you can barely hear it over the AC fan.
The audio and video jack on the wall seems to be video out and audio in for the DVD player.
I tried plugging in to the headphone jack and running that to the audio in on the tv... But it won't use that when it's in AV in.
Anyone have any ideas on how to either get the DVD audio to come out of the tv or get the volume from the surround speakers inside to go louder?
Thanks.

yourguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
What make and model DVD player is it? Post a picture of you don't know...

(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #3

I have determined its a Linear RV4500 by Magnadyne.

See here: http://www.magnadyne.com/catalog/part.cfm?PID=612300

And here's my unit:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1401929223.177915.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	688.5 KB
ID:	54334

I'm sort of afraid to modify it since it's all under my 2yr warranty and I don't want to void it.
I just wish I could get more sound out of it... Or just skip the external speakers and have it play audio to the tv. Then a sound bar or something similar could provide more volume.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Owner - RVtronics

I would say that the factory would have intended for the unit to have sufficient loudness even when using the AC.

According to the specs of the units it has 6 watts per channel which is really not that much. I know other similar units in RV's such as Genesis and Jensen have around 20 watts per channel and are plenty loud.

I would recommend you or the dealer check all the speaker wiring from the DVD player to ensure the negative goes to the negative (from radio to speaker) and the positive goes to the positive. If they don't this will cause a situation called "out of phase" which will minimize the lower frequencies being reproduced (i.e. it will be quieter).

You could also add a small amplifier to host the power per channel, but you will still want to ensure the speakers are wired correctly.

Lastly, you really should figure this out or improve as today's TV speakers are not the great.
(781) 281-9440
Old 06-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourguide View Post
I have determined its a Linear RV4500 by Magnadyne.

See here: RV4500 Linear Series Wall Mount | Car stereo In-Wall Receiver | RV’s

And here's my unit:
Attachment 54334

I'm sort of afraid to modify it since it's all under my 2yr warranty and I don't want to void it.
I just wish I could get more sound out of it... Or just skip the external speakers and have it play audio to the tv. Then a sound bar or something similar could provide more volume.
OK...well the unit and the speakers are fairly sucko...but first lets make sure you are getting all the sound voume possible from them on playback.
1. Rotate the volume up all the way.
2. Push the volume button in and then maximize both bass and treble.
3. Try the different equalization settings.
Not much improvement? Then you need to go to an external powered speaker or speaker bar. You DO have conventional yellow/red/white audio video output jacks on the rear of the unit. just use the red and white jacks since you don't need the yellow for sound...and run them to powered speakers or speaker bar for better sound.
The trim ring on your unit pries off (carefully) to reveal 4 screws which allow removal of the unit...plug in the cable to the jacks on the back and then run it where you want to put your speakers. Then just bolt it back together the same way. NO WARRANTY violation since the unit is being used in accordance with mfr. instructions! Just be careful with the trim ring but superglue can fix anything!
camaraderie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #6

I have a Jensen, so this might not apply to your rig. On our Jensen there are three zones A, B, C. The 'A' zone has outputs for four speakers, two front and two back, but there are only speakers connected to the fronts. The 'fader' adjustment was favoring the non-existent rear speakers, limiting how much volume we could get.

You might check and see if the same thing is happening on yours. BTW, we also used the fader to equalize the volume of the 'A' zone and 'C' zone so we could have the same volume in or out.

Hope this helps.

Allen

2014 Coachmen Catalina 273DBS
50th Anniversary model
acope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #7
Owner - RVtronics

The unit quality may be marginal, but it also may be satisfactory for his purposes IF it performs correctly. I would still recommend checking the speaker wiring as noted above as that could be the issue. It may not be, but it is certainly an easy and inexpensive thing to check. Also I noted, recognizing you were under warranty that you or your DEALER could check it out. A warranty only has value of you use it...
(781) 281-9440
Old 06-22-2014, 12:43 AM   #8

Thanks for all the great feedback... I'll check out the settings and the wiring.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #9

We have this same unit in our Wildwood. The radio seems to play ok. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the tv to play through the speakers... I was told that was possible. Was I misinformed?
nbaibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbaibos View Post
We have this same unit in our Wildwood. The radio seems to play ok. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the tv to play through the speakers... I was told that was possible. Was I misinformed?
If you are saying you have the RV4500 unit....and your TV has audio output red and white jacks on the back OR a headphone output jack....yes, you can hook it up to your RV4500...to the audio input jacks on the back of the unit.
You will need either one of these from a headphone jack.

Or one of these from standard audio output jacks:

Note that this assumes nothing else is hooked up there already and that you've checked to see those cables aren't already there!
I don't know your model trailer and equipment...but if you have a TV that can output sound through a jack...than your radio can take it and broadcast the sound through the speakers.

camaraderie is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, dvd, salem