Old 03-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #1
2016 Forester 3051S, miserable GPS.

Ok guys and gals who have a 2016 Forester 3051S.
We have had ours for approximately 4 weeks (counting the two weeks in the service shop) and have been extremely disappointed in the GPS.
It is nearly impossible to see when in the drivers seat and the print on the screen is so small you need to squint and use reading glasses!
Do anyone else have this issues? Have you been able to change the settings so it is readable from the drivers seat?
It is supposed to display in 3D and show the different types of terrain, such as parks ans such. The color on our unit is so dim it is hard to distinguish one type of terrain from the other.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps we just have a bad radio/gps unit.

BIKERMHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:37 PM   #2
Its very discouraging to hear that the dash unit hasn't been improved since mine. I haven't been able to change anything on mine to make it more user friendly, sorry can't give you some incite, it is what it is.

2014 Forester 3051s
2016 Nissan Pathfinder SL
2012 Sonic toad
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #3
Looking Down Range
The only improvement we've been able to make is when we turn the headlights off the screen gets brighter.
2014 Forester 3051S
2013 Ford Focus
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
I just came back from my first trip in my 3051 and I agree with you. The motorhome was great, the only problems I had were basically just some electrons issues. By the way Myrtle Beach was great,
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
Looking Down Range
Glad you had a good trip and enjoy the motorhome. We're currently in Branson enjoying ours! May have to check out Myrtle Beach when we go out that way in May.
2014 Forester 3051S
2013 Ford Focus
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:10 PM   #6
We picked up a 2014 3171DS last month, and after the drive home I went straight to Crutchfield to buy a replacement. Probably the worst dash unit I've ever seen. Clock was different between Nav and regular modes, and both of them jumped around randomly. Super slow to change functions/load menus. Every audio input had a different annoying buzz or hum. They didn't hook up the parking brake sensor (or it was busted?) so it was impossible to actually play a DVD on the front television because it always thought you were in gear. And we had no remote for it, so couldn't operate the DVD menus anyway..

The only thing I could figure out how to improve was turning off the stupid voice warning that you are over the speed limit.
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #7

Our '16 Sunseeker has the multifunction in dash Jensen unit. The DVD, Sirius AM/FM all work great, but like you said the GPS module is????? questionable at best..I Registered on the web site which looks like the company is in a former Soviet Union country..they have upgrades available to the map system and "supposedly" according to their web site include 3D into the upgrades...again ???
Have to get unit out of storage first, then will try their upgrade..they have slide show videos that seem fairly well done...we'll see in a couple weeks...
2016 Sunseeker 3050S
2012 Ford Edge TOAD
Blue Ox & RVIBrake
2014 - 37; 2015 - 58; 2016 - 64
mkekflyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:16 PM   #8
I found the easiest way to use the GPS with my Jensen unit is to shut it off and put my Garmin on top of the dashboard. I don't like driving and looking down into the dashboard. The Garmin is at just below eye level so it's easier to steal a quick glance at it without really taking my eyes off the road. I know, the Jensen has a GPS so it should be usable...but it's not. At least not for me.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb - Denmark, ME & Delray Beach, FL
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:27 PM   #9
Dash GPS

First time we used it (10 min. after taking ownership), it turned us down a dead end road with very little turn around room. Garmin on the top of the dash, works great!
Dick Lewis
2015 Forester 2501 TS
Toad: 2013 Honda CRV
Doxies Penny & Lucy
Located Western States
ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:45 AM   #10
2016 Forester 3051S, miserable GPS.

Which Garmin are you using in post 8 & 9? Thinking of getting one for our unit also. I agree, the Jensen GPS is much to be desired.

1968 tent trailer
1985 Jamboree 23 ft
1997 Minnie Winnie 25 Ft
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote

305, forester