Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #1

2017 8289ws poor ac performance

We purchased a new 2017 8289ws in March, been camping 3 times in the spring with temp averaging around 80 to 81 degrees for highs. Setting the main ac on 71 degrees and bedroom on 68 degrees, the main ac never shuts off from around 11am to 8pm and the temp inside rose to 74 or 75. We try to limit going in and out and also cooking. The camper has been back to dealer 3 times for problem, first said thermostat was not calibrated, second time said amp draw on units was in range (did nothing) third time said the same. Dealer said there was nothing to fix. I can't imagine taking it somewhere with 95 degree temps. I've heard buy Local to get service but not here again. Any thoughts before I take to a independent shop?? I guess I purchased a winter camper. I've been around camping all my life and never seen this sorry of a ac. thanks for any help
bertmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:32 PM   #2

Have you tried partially opening a roof vent? I'm assuming you have cleaned the filters.

I guess I'd get one of those temperature meters that show the output of the a/c, then check the owners manual to see if that shows what the output should be. Then I'd try the a/c manufacturer. Then I'd try the Forest River warranty dept.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:50 PM   #3

ive read threads that state the max temp change you are going to get is 15 degrees. if its 85 out 70 would be the best you are going to get. Those are some pretty cool temps you are trying to pull. With 1 1/2" thick walls and single pain windows I don't think your going to do better.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:05 AM   #4

These units just can't keep up with the heat gain from ultra light trailers. One correction in the above statement, is that the temp difference is measured from the return air to supply air. Only real thing you can do is start it early, but on a 95 degree heated day, pass noon you probably won't cycle at all until after sun set. Shade helps but the heat gain is the killer. On hot days I always tried to get to my spot at 2:00 PM, so I could get it going before the peak heat. I can't remember the number of times we sat and suffered until around 8:00PM before you start feeling some relief inside.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #5

Simply not enough cooling (heat transfer) for the heat gain. If both unit are 13,500 BTU, replace with two 15,000 BTU units to gain 3,000 more BTU of cooling. Or add a third air conditioner on the roof as the best option. Three 13,500 BTU units would provide 40,500 BTU of cooling and the units could cycle on their own thermostats as needed based on the heat load they are controlling. Cooling an RV is not like cooling a house. 13,500 BTU is barely adequate to cool 150 square feet in an RV (barely). There is no magic wand when two normally operating AC’s cannot transfer enough heat.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #6

Check the return

My Wildcat had an A/C that wasn't cutting it too. I looked in the return, you know where the filter goes, and found that the access panel to the air duct supply box was not in place, this allowed the air to circulate inside the unit instead of being blown out into the living space. A nickle of metal duct tape sealed it up and have had no problems since. Even in South Georgia in late July. Hope that helps.
Redrider is offline   Reply With Quote