Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #1

2017 wolfpup 18to water heater

Do all 2017 wolfpup 18to have an electric switch for the water heater? I opened the door for the water heater and looked and I cannot find the switch, any help is appreciated.
m37racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m37racing View Post
Do all 2017 wolfpup 18to have an electric switch for the water heater? I opened the door for the water heater and looked and I cannot find the switch, any help is appreciated.
Not all have the electric. If yours does look in the lower left corner behind the tubing.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:54 AM   #3

I don’t have a pup, but my switch is here...lower left

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	207310
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:03 AM   #4

My switch is inside on the wall. But after seeing this I have to wonder why would the heater manufacturer place that switch in such a horrible spot?

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:46 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
My switch is inside on the wall. But after seeing this I have to wonder why would the heater manufacturer place that switch in such a horrible spot?
The switch Iwannacamp referenced is the on/off switch for the ELECTRIC element side of the water heater. (if equipped) It is in kind of a horrible spot and many never even see it but if you visualize the water heater tank inside the square door, it really is about the only place it can go and still be contained within the unit.

This 'all-in-one' electric/propane water heater is used on a lot of R/V's and does not require any additional 120v wiring other than to the junction box/pigtail so it is cost effective.

Certain models do have a SECOND switch that will allow you to turn the ELECTRIC side of the heater on and off remotely from INSIDE the R/V by leaving the outside switch in the on position.

Many R/Vs only have a 12v rocker switch and a DSI Light (direct spark ignition) INSIDE that ignites the PROPANE side of the heater.

Some model water heaters have NO switches and the controls for propane operation are inside the water heater door located on the outside of the R/V. On these models you have to manually light a pilot using the controls on the water heater.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by m37racing View Post
Not all RV's have a combination propane/electric heating element water heater.

Some may be propane only.

The brand/model water heater you have will tell the tale. The model is probably on a tag on the wall inside the water heater cover, accessed from outside the RV.

If you have a Suburban brand, this may help:

Suburban Water Heater (SW | V | SAW Models) The model and serial number information can be located by opening the water heater access door on the outside of your RV. The silver colored data plate with black printing is located on the right side of the metal control housing as you face it from the outside. The model number will be located on the top line of the data plate and will begin with "SW", "SAW" or "V". The nine digit serial number will be on the bottom line.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #7

My2017 PUP has inside switch for propane and outside switch for electric. Funny thing is the electric switch outside is opposite the normal operation for a rocker switch...that is, if you press the top in it turns "off' and if you press the bottom in it turns "on". Took me forever to figure out why my electric element would not work because you cant easily see the switch label.
bigred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #8
RiderBloke

Mine is as per the photos pasted by others and I think the switch is placed there so it is near where you check to ensure there is water in the heater before turning the electric element on. Secondly the reverse operation from the normal US switches may also reduce switching on before you check.
The main thing is to check the heater has a lot of water in it before you turn it on - the element will blow instantly if not then the switch position won’t matter! [emoji22]
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #9

2017 wolfpup 18to water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderBloke View Post
Mine is as per the photos pasted by others and I think the switch is placed there so it is near where you check to ensure there is water in the heater before turning the electric element on. Secondly the reverse operation from the normal US switches may also reduce switching on before you check.
The main thing is to check the heater has a lot of water in it before you turn it on - the element will blow instantly if not then the switch position won’t matter! [emoji22]

I’ve always thought the same thing about the switch placement. Imagine how much easier it would be to burn up the element if there was a switch right inside the camper within easy reach of kids, guests, etc. trying to figure out how to turn on a light, on a trip where you may not be using the water heater for whatever reason, and with the tank empty. [emoji15]
dstacy969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater