Old 01-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #11
Stay away from old style dryer and welder outlets. They have "similar" receps to RV plugs. Problem is there are two hot lead thus 220v AC in lieu of the 110v you require.

VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #12
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
historically, it seems a lot have a pedestal installed, but even EXPERIENCED electricians wire it as 220 .....or as previously mentioned, being in a rush and plugging into a new outlet and either the owner does not understand the difference betweeen rv recepticals and home recepticals....the plug WILL fit!!! LOL
X eleventy on the home power pedestal. DH researched wiring diagrams, talked to wmtire about it, talked to electricians, researched some more, and researched again...then finally settled on an electrician he trusted. This electrician did some research of his own, then did some more research and talked to electricians *he* trusted. The wiring was explained to me at least a dozen times and I still don't understand it.

We finally plugged the V-Lite in to our shore power the day before we left for our big trip to Pigeon Forge. DH left that up to it now or wait til we get back? After going in to the house and wringing my hands for a bit I stepped outside and told him and the electrician...plug 'er in! ...while holding my breath.

Big exhale.....all systems geaux! (found out later they'd already plugged it in while I was inside)

DH had purchased all the conduit, wiring, pedestal, etc. himself....the cost of having the electrician wire it all in? Two cases of beer.

Our PDI guy had told us "you've got an onboard surge guard with this unit". ummmm NOT TRUE! So if it hadn't been done correctly we'd have had the same situation the OP has.

We *do* have a surge guard with our 5er. We'll *never* trust a PDI guy about that again, and will never camp (or even plug in to shore power here at home) without the surge guard. No, they're not cheap, but they're worth every penny in protection. I consider it an investment in our future of good times camping.

Long story long....get that surge guard!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #13
Greathouse99; I feel your pain! I took the trailer to my Dad's so we could put in a digital thermostat. Dad rigged up a long extension cord so we could test the A/C before I took it out on any trips. We bought the 110 recep to plug into but looking like a dryer plug, Dad assumed it was 220 and tied into his dryer breaker. Fried my converter, microwave, stereo system and television. I turned it into insurance and they paid less my deductible. I had a dealer replace everything but asked for the electronics back. Ended up saving the television with a fuse replacement but everything else was indeed fried.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2014 Ram 2500HD Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote