Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #1

Exclamation 220 accident

We accidentally hooked up 220 instead of 110. The 110 outlets work but microwave and ac and fridge don't work. 12volt lignts won't work. I'm not sure how to fix this, can anyone help me?
greathouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathouse99 View Post
We accidentally hooked up 220 instead of 110. The 110 outlets work but microwave and ac and fridge don't work. 12volt lignts won't work. I'm not sure how to fix this, can anyone help me?
I hate to hear this. Usually when it happens, you fry the converter (the converter is what converts 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC, and also charges your battery(s)). This is probably why your lights and other 12 volt stuff isn't working. Your Air-Conditioner thermostat is 12 volt powered, and you may have damaged the thermostat but may be lucky and it's just the converter. If the Air Conditioner wasn't on when you made the boo-boo, it's probably OK. You may have damaged a control board on the fridge, but here again it could just be the converter as it is 12 volt powered too.

Also the microwave and television usually get's fried too. You may have to replace both.

Start off by replacing/fixing the converter....then you can go from there as to what else is fried.

We have had several other members do the same thing, and maybe they will share their learning experience with you.

I hate to hear this, but it's not the end of the world. it's one of those life learning things, and you will get past it.

If you are not where you can take the RV to a dealer, there are mobile RV techs who can come to you. The converter replacement is not difficult, but I don't know the extent of your mechanical/electrical abilities.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #3

I am sorry to hear you had that accident.....our 30 amp surge protector has saved us 3-4 times from disaster.....the most recent was in a federal park that had a host and no other campers in it......we found the perfect site and were really excited to have the heated bathhouse to ourselves.....but our perfect site said reverse polarity....on surge protector....ut oh....so found another site suitable and when checked it was also reversed.....checked about a dozen of 35 sites and they all were the same....so said something to host on way out and also called ranger.....and off to another campground.....that had correct polarity......all I can say is I am so glad I spent the bucks for the surge gard and the TPMS.....I will not travel without them....except to nearest camping world to replace the ones I have if they fail......best of luck to all

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Been there and done that…...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathouse99 View Post
Sorry to hear of your mistake. I can truly say I feel your pain. I did the exact same thing on my maiden voyage. Hooked up the 5'er to 220V and instantly fried the microwave, fireplace, TV and converter. All of my electrical outlets worked (once I hooked it up to 110V via an extension cord), the fridge was safe, as well as both A/C's. I didn't realize the converter was bad until weeks later when once the battery totally drained, the thermostat wouldn't work, therefore no heat. Long story short, I had to replace all of the fried equipment. I am sorry to hear this happened to you. Don't let it get to you. Sometimes it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one. And, it turned out to be a blessing (kinda), I've met some great people on this forum and they have been a tremendous help. Welcome to the forum!
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #5

the "oh crap i plugged into 220" is a often and sad occurence round these forums....wont be the last im sure....hopefully if any of us can help out and save someone else the trouble then we will.....or help em get back going after they do!...thats what we are here for!

to the op, try plugging the micro and/or fridge into an extension on a good outlet....more than likely the converter is toasty......best of luck, i think the last occurance of this the poster had his insurance cover the new appliances?
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #6

This might be a dumb question but how do you accidentally plug into 220?

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
Infractee

Okay, I am really confused! Where are y'all finding 220V to plug your campers into???
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDad01 View Post
In my case, I was visiting my Dad in Alabama. Hadn't seen him in over 2 years. He had a 30Amp outlet wired for 220V on a pole outside on his property. Me being excited to show off my new rig, I quickly asked him if it was 110V or 220V. His response was "son, it's 220V, it's the only way it can be wired". He's never had an RV, and I was BRAND new to the whole thing and quickly thought he must be right. After all, he's Dad and he knows everything (he usually does) and I wasn't going to argue. The plugged looked like the female counterpart to my 30Amp adapter which I had plugged into the 50Amp cord. Luckily, this is how I didn't fry more appliances as 220V fried only those appliances on one leg. Dad felt horrible and I learned a valuable lesson.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Okay, I am really confused! Where are y'all finding 220V to plug your campers into???
historically, it seems a lot have a pedestal installed, but even EXPERIENCED electricians wire it as 220 .....or as previously mentioned, being in a rush and plugging into a new outlet and either the owner does not understand the difference betweeen rv recepticals and home recepticals....the plug WILL fit!!! LOL
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDad01 View Post
Here is an often referred to site, that has great information on RV electrical, wiring, testing, etc.

I link to it a lot of times when trying to help members. I recommend that everyone take some time to click on the lefthand tabs, to learn how it all works........and how to make testers to test ALL outlets before you plug into them, or as suggested to buy the proper surge guards that will automatically cut power to the RV if plugged into 220/240 volt or other miswired receptacles.

RV Electric

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #11

Stay away from old style dryer and welder outlets. They have "similar" receps to RV plugs. Problem is there are two hot lead thus 220v AC in lieu of the 110v you require.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:02 PM   #12
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
historically, it seems a lot have a pedestal installed, but even EXPERIENCED electricians wire it as 220 .....or as previously mentioned, being in a rush and plugging into a new outlet and either the owner does not understand the difference betweeen rv recepticals and home recepticals....the plug WILL fit!!! LOL
X eleventy on the home power pedestal. DH researched wiring diagrams, talked to wmtire about it, talked to electricians, researched some more, and researched again...then finally settled on an electrician he trusted. This electrician did some research of his own, then did some more research and talked to electricians *he* trusted. The wiring was explained to me at least a dozen times and I still don't understand it.

We finally plugged the V-Lite in to our shore power the day before we left for our big trip to Pigeon Forge. DH left that up to me...do it now or wait til we get back? After going in to the house and wringing my hands for a bit I stepped outside and told him and the electrician...plug 'er in! ...while holding my breath.

Big exhale.....all systems geaux! (found out later they'd already plugged it in while I was inside)

DH had purchased all the conduit, wiring, pedestal, etc. himself....the cost of having the electrician wire it all in? Two cases of beer.

Our PDI guy had told us "you've got an onboard surge guard with this unit". ummmm NOT TRUE! So if it hadn't been done correctly we'd have had the same situation the OP has.

We *do* have a surge guard with our 5er. We'll *never* trust a PDI guy about that again, and will never camp (or even plug in to shore power here at home) without the surge guard. No, they're not cheap, but they're worth every penny in protection. I consider it an investment in our future of good times camping.

Long story long....get that surge guard!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:32 PM   #13

Greathouse99; I feel your pain! I took the trailer to my Dad's so we could put in a digital thermostat. Dad rigged up a long extension cord so we could test the A/C before I took it out on any trips. We bought the 110 recep to plug into but looking like a dryer plug, Dad assumed it was 220 and tied into his dryer breaker. Fried my converter, microwave, stereo system and television. I turned it into insurance and they paid less my deductible. I had a dealer replace everything but asked for the electronics back. Ended up saving the television with a fuse replacement but everything else was indeed fried.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident