Old 09-29-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
2502S Furnace Sketchy

Sorry for another furnace thread but I'm a bit desperate. This is our 2nd fall/winter with this unit and it's been problem free up to now. We last ran the furnace in March, no issues. We came up to Savage MN today and it's abt 50 degrees outside now. I grew complacent and didn't test it until I was ready for bed and DW was already asleep. Anyway, turned the therm to heat, raised the temp, and nothing. No click from the therm indicating a demand for heat, no life from the furnace at all. Other functions (fan and AC) working fine.

I read some previous posts and pulled the fuse for a couple mins, replaced, still nothing. Disconnected shore and battery, reconnected, nothing. Checked the vents (which I did screen right after purchase), no sign of any insects.

So I threw a hail mary and pulled the cover off the therm. I'm no electrician but I can spot disconnected wires, no sign of trouble that I could see. Cycled the switch one more time with the cover off, no joy. Here's where it got weird. Was going to leave the cover off to signal DW not to mess with it in the morning, but decided to write a note instead. After leaving a note (4-5 minutes of the switch on Heat and temp high enough to kick on) I popped the cover back on the therm and the furnace sprung to life at the exact same time. It's cycled on twice since, seems fine. Obviously the therm has an issue (or the furnace has the best timing I've ever seen to cast dispersion on the therm LOL). Is it worth screwing with or would I be better off replacing it?? I do understand wiring diagrams, but get no joy from them or from playing with soldering irons. If a new unit would be the better bet, that would be my next move.

2013 Mini-Lite 2502S
08 Grand Cherokee HEMI Overland w/ Lifetime Warranty
Nights Camped 2012 - 52
Nights Camped 2013 - 30 so far
coffaqcof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou
While I guess it IS possible there is a hidden staple in the thermostat wires, thermostats do go bad. Replacing with the same model is the easiest as you just dismount the old thermostat and move the wires one at a time to the new board; then remount the new one.

Before I bought a new one, though I would check that the wires attached to the control board with screw terminals are tight.

Good luck...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Installation.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	40438   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-12%2017_01_03.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	40439  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
X2. Should be an easy swap if you need it
2007 Coachmen Capri - 300QBS
2012 Yukon Denali Tow rig
brockhals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Thanks for the info guys. We got lucky last night was warm enough we didn't need it, but tonight we will. I cycled it earlier today, seemed OK, got my fingers crossed it works tonight. I'll be looking for a new therm when we get home.
2013 Mini-Lite 2502S
08 Grand Cherokee HEMI Overland w/ Lifetime Warranty
Nights Camped 2012 - 52
Nights Camped 2013 - 30 so far
coffaqcof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Those are solid wire single conductors. It sounds like one is cracked. As moving them may have let it touch again. When your not about to use furnace grab wire not the insulation and pull. Broken conductor will come out of insulation [wire covering]. As mentioned it might be from cable staple or travel vibration so do this at home because there's no way to tell how far down the wire it's broken until piece come out. Best o luck.
parkay is offline   Reply With Quote