Old 03-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
3 way fridge

I have a tent trailer with a 3 way fridge. It works with all 3 sources. The only exception here is that I can't have it on propane while driving. It seems to blow out the pilot. I always switch to DC when driving, then switch to AC or propane once the trailer is parked. Should it be able to run on propane while driving?

am-radio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
I should, but why waste your propane? With the engine alt operating, it doesn't know its "back there".

VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Head Rambler
Which model fridge is it?
You should be able to run on propane while driving. There may be a wind shield bent or out of place.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Because it has a pilot light that need to be on you can not drive with propane on. The larger fridge have DSI and no pilot light.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Having previously had a 3 way fridge in a Trailmanor, here is my input:

It is a 3 way fridge for a is meant to be used on 12 volts on the road. You don't have to worry about the downsides of leaving your propane cylinders on while in transit.

There are some inherit problems that can occur, though. If your tow vehicle does not have a 12 volt isolation circuit (the isolation circuit cuts the power to the trailer when the TV switch is off) to the Bargman plug, it could run down your TV battery during extended stops. It would take some time, as both your TV battery and trailer battery would be involved.

If your TV has an isolation circuit, then you could more easily run down your trailer battery.......just a single battery instead of 2 batteries. Again, that would probably take several hours, and not usually a problem.

I installed a 30 amp blade fuse on my battery hot wire. If I were going to stop for lunch or some other long stay, I would pull the battery fuse and lay it in my truck seat. I would install the fuse when ready to travel again. Yes, the fridge would be off during that time, but those little puppies hold the cold in pretty good, so an hour or so won't make a big difference.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
Chap is correct. I used to have a Casita with the 3-way Dometic, and I had to be careful when stopping for lunch or extended rest stops while towing on DC. It was easy with a Casita to reach in the door and just cut the fridge off until ready to roll again. Some people just preferred pulling the 7-pin plug. Either way, you have to remember to reverse the process before starting out again.
2013 Surveyor SP220
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
I'm not sure of the make or model right now. The flapper over the pilot is not bent. I put it on DC while driving and switch to propane if stopping for lunch on the way, and switch back when I start driving. Habit now. Switching is done outside. I also have no isolation switch from trailer to TV. Thanks to everyone for their advice. Advice and knowledge on here is fast and friendly.

am-radio is online now   Reply With Quote