Old 07-31-2019, 09:45 PM   #1

30 to 50 adapter ???

I got a call from my friend his relatives Motorhome Alegro something had burned up the end of the power cord with the adapter and the front AC had stopped cooling so they started the rear.

When I got there the rear AC was running, and there was power to both side of the 50 amp breaker. (i was under the assumption that when you added the 30 to 50 one side of the 50 was dead, this was not the case) I turned the breaker off to the rear AC and restarted the front AC which cooled as it should. I did find the Rear AC fan was in the on position and not auto.

The Valterra 30 to 50 supplies both legs of the power panel, I think with the front AC on and the rear fan on it just pulled to many amps and caused the front AC to quit on overload and the plug to burn up because of heavy amp draw. What do you think this is the first time I have run into this.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #2

Could it just be unfortunate timing? My understanding is that the amp draw for an AC is greatest right when the compressor starts up. Maybe both started at the same time causing a problem.

On vs Auto is just for the fan as far as I know. I dont think the fan is what draws a lot of amps. I think it's the compressor and specifically the compressor starting.

Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

To be honest, I've not seen a 30a to 50a adapter that DIDN'T supply power to BOTH legs.
I'm not saying they don't make them but the many I've had my hands on and the two or three I have, all supply power to both legs.

I'd bet both A/Cs tried to start at the same time or there were other things drawing current too.

Many folks tend to forget they when plugging in this way (with an adapter) they have less than a third of the current available of a regular 50a R/V service.
30a -vs- 100a (50a+50a)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30-50ampDogbone.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	211324  
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #4

We often use that adapter in state parks.

The rv owner has to be the load shedding device here.

You have to manage your power use. 50 amps is two fifty’s or 100 amps. 30 amps is 30 amps.

Two ac units plus any other big user is an overload. Even the converter. Residental Refrigerator, water heater,microwave. Etc.

The DW is our coordinator. She has never failed! But, we set up our fiver to be flexible.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
To be honest, I've not seen a 30a to 50a adapter that DIDN'T supply power to BOTH legs.
I'm not saying they don't make them but the many I've had my hands on and the two or three I have, all supply power to both legs.

I'd bet both A/Cs tried to start at the same time or there were other things drawing current too.

Many folks tend to forget they when plugging in this way (with an adapter) they have less than a third of the current available of a regular 50a R/V service.
30a -vs- 100a (50a+50a)
5picker's highlighted statement is true for me, too.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #6

I agree with what has been said, I never actually ever tested an adapter before so now I know and you guys have confirmed it. So last night they lost power to the frig and sat TV I found the converter/inverter was in overload. I reset it and all is running now I don't believe they understand when I explained load shedding thanks guys.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote