Old 02-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #1

6 Volt Battery

We purchased a 2018 Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition and has a 1000 watt inverter and a Residential Refrigerator in July 2018 it came with two Twelve volt battery's. power volt V24s.I don't think I like them. I have seen on the form that everybody's recommending going with two 6 volt battery's . Was wondering if I had to make any changes to hook up and run the two 6 volt batter's. Do to not staying charged up the two power volt 24v may have froze up it looked like it had slush in it. did not realize that the battery disconnect shut off didn't stop the discharge on the battery's. and to hook up the two 6 volt is red to red and black to black. someone told him it hooks up red to black. that just does not sound right to me . But I am not familiar with 6 volt battery's THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

CampinGpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinGpa View Post
We purchased a 2018 Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition and has a 1000 watt inverter and a Residential Refrigerator in July 2018 it came with two Twelve volt battery's. power volt V24s.I don't think I like them. I have seen on the form that everybody's recommending going with two 6 volt battery's . Was wondering if I had to make any changes to hook up and run the two 6 volt batter's. Do to not staying charged up the two power volt 24v may have froze up it looked like it had slush in it. did not realize that the battery disconnect shut off didn't stop the discharge on the battery's. and to hook up the two 6 volt is red to red and black to black. someone told him it hooks up red to black. that just does not sound right to me . But I am not familiar with 6 volt battery's THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
Yes. 2- 6 volt batteries Red to black = 12 volts. In series Just like a flashlight.

2- 12 volt batteries are red to red black to black = 12 volts. That's in parallel.

Yes if you change what you have you will need to change the wiring. Find someone to help you.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post

2- 12 volt batteries are red to red black to black that's in Pharrell.
2 - 12 volt batteries make a singer?? that's awesome I'll have to try that when I get home!

Google search 6 volt batteries and go to images. There will be some simple diagrams to follow. But like the above post, + to - makes 6v, 12v. Also generally 6v batteries are bigger (taller I think) than 12 volts so make sure you have room where your batteries are. Good luck!

2017 Days Camped - 14
2018 Days Camped - 15
2019 Days Camped - 9
Justice12t is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice12t View Post
2 - 12 volt batteries make a singer?? that's awesome I'll have to try that when I get home!

Google search 6 volt batteries and go to images. There will be some simple diagrams to follow. But like the above post, + to - makes 6v, 12v. Also generally 6v batteries are bigger (taller I think) than 12 volts so make sure you have room where your batteries are. Good luck!
I hate auto spell. Especially when I don't read it.!

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinGpa View Post
My Cedar Creek came with four 6 volt batteries, I was constantly adding water to the batteries. Talked to on of Forest River electrical techs at a rally about this. His reply was that the converter model that my unit had does not like 6 volt batteries and it was common problem. I remove the four 6 volt batteries and replaced the with two 12 volt deep cycle batteries. We do not boondock and this has proven capable of handling the electrical requirements of our unit. now I expect the electrical gurus to say that 12v vs two 6v in series is the same. All I can say is I made the recommended change and my issues went away. Y,all can do as you please, it worked for me.

Chevy 2500 HD
2016 Cedar Creek 34 RE
53 gal DOT aux fuel tank
AirBox Revolution hitch
Finlee Westie #5 (Door bell and security.)
Dave_the_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #6

Here's how to wire two 6 volts in series https://www.etrailer.com/question-60431.html
Equalizer WDH
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #7
western NC mountains!

6v batteries tend to be a real 'deep discharge' type for RVs, and probably best suited for your situation, if you are contemplating a change anyway. Go for a standard 6v Golf Cart GC type battery, found at Power Sports and Boating stores, if you don't have an RV dealer nearby.

Two 6v batteries have to be wired to give you 12v output, so yes, they are wired differently than your current 12v batteries.
Since two 6v batteries have to provide the 12v output, they must be wired in 'Series', which means that the POSITIVE terminal of one is connected to the NEGATIVE of the other, which raises the output to 12v. You might also wrap this wire with a Black or Red electrical tape 'flag'.
The terminals that are left now accept the wires from your coach, just like the former ones.

This wiring scheme means that you'll have a wire 'left over' from your current setup, since you now have 4 wires, instead of only needing 3 with two 6v batteries, in series.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx,
90,000+mi, US, Alaska, Canada, western NC for now : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #8

Maybe I should stay with the two 12 volt battery's and swap out the two power volt V24 with Interstates or is there any good recommendations out there? I had interstate in my TT and it work good
Old 02-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #9

If you boon dock a lot then go with a pair of 6 volt. If you always stay in campgrounds with full hookups then 12 volt batteries would do you fine.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
If you boon dock a lot then go with a pair of 6 volt. If you always stay in campgrounds with full hookups then 12 volt batteries would do you fine.
Thank you we don't boondock. Just campgrounds

Tags
battery