Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 06-04-2013, 04:50 AM   #11

If your unit did not come with a time delay relay to protect from power outages then I would suggest that you install a Robert Shaw time delay relay model # 3350-120, you can buy it on ebay for $12.95. This will stop you compressor from short cycling. Also I was not tiring to mislead anyone. Mine is protected already. The stat runs off the battery 12 volt, that's why you do not lose power in the stat when you lose the 115 volt. You might also want to invest in a surge protector that has a built in time delay after the power is lost. On sale now at CW $269.00. This will also protect your compressor from short cycling.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Revolution sidewinder
W/ 4 point Level UP System Hydraulic
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
If your unit did not come with a time delay relay to protect from power outages then I would suggest that you install a Robert Shaw time delay relay model # 3350-120, you can buy it on ebay for $12.95. This will stop you compressor from short cycling. Also I was not tiring to mislead anyone. Mine is protected already. The stat runs off the battery 12 volt, that's why you do not lose power in the stat when you lose the 115 volt. You might also want to invest in a surge protector that has a built in time delay after the power is lost. On sale now at CW $269.00. This will also protect your compressor from short cycling.
Yesterday you said that the stat runs off of 24v supplied from the compressor 120v supply. I'm glad you got that figured out.

And Dude, the whole point of this thread was to figure out if his surge protector needed to use a time delay!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Yesterday you said that the stat runs off of 24v supplied from the compressor 120v supply. I'm glad you got that figured out.

And Dude, the whole point of this thread was to figure out if his surge protector needed to use a time delay!
First of all my name is not dude, maybe you should show some respect, people are just tiring to help. Also their are tons of threads telling how important SURGE PROTECTORS ARE. Besides protecting your compressor as you stated it will also protect all the rest of your 115 volt running equipment, such as your Refer and TV. I hope you have that clear now DUDE...

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Revolution sidewinder
W/ 4 point Level UP System Hydraulic
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Ray, the stat is hooked to a board that is located in the return air, remove your filter and look up that's where it gets it power from the a/c........the same board also supply's you FAU power. The stat has no means of supplying 24 volt. It comes from the board where I just told you.

gljurczyk, I believe you are trying to help. One of the things that confused or mislead me was when you mentioned "The 24 volts that operate the stat comes from the a/c not from anything else when set to a/c and then also gets in from your FAU when you run the heat." Then again, you said "the stat is hooked to a board that is located in the return air, remove your filter and look up that's where it gets it power from the a/c........the same board also supply's you FAU power. The stat has no means of supplying 24 volt. It comes from the board where I just told you."

My AC installation instructions say the thermostat 12 VDC positive/negative is supplied directly from the trailer's converter, not the AC as you said, with two supply leads, one +12 VDC red in color, one -12 VDC blue in color.

When instructions were discussing the thermostat wires (blue, yellow, green, & gray) you pointed out behind the filter, blue is for negative, and the others are for thermostat voltage to the relays, yellow compressor, green high fan, and gray low fan, all +12 VDC.

The "Robert Shaw time delay relay model # 3350-120" you mentioned is interesting but I'm unsure where I would hook that up so that it did not interfere with my thermostat's normal operating 3 minute delay and activate upon power loss to my trailer.

When you suggested "You might also want to invest in a surge protector that has a built in time delay after the power is lost," I had to smile because the testing we did was to determine which time delay setting to use on my Progressive Industries EMS (electrical management system) a popular surge-protector-plus-more system, the 15 second delay or the 2+ minute delay. The way my AC operates based on the testing, I would need the 2+ minute delay, while the way Barry's operates based on the testing, he could use the 15 second delay.

These are not meant to be disrespectful comments, but a lot of what you said confused me in the context of this thread. I think what you later said "The stat runs off the battery 12 volt, that's why you do not lose power in the stat when you lose the 115 volt," is now correct but different than what you said before.

I did learn something though but not exactly as you said it, gljurczyk, my thermostat supplies power to activate the AC relays through several color coded wires behind the filter. I think I'm stating what I learned correctly. Readers forgive me if I'm wrong. I attached a pic so others can see behind my filter...
Attached Images

+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
rip

WOW, it's good that gljurczyk enticed me to remove my air filter and look at my AC wires to see what in the world he was talking about.

That big yellow wire in my previous message picture is 120 volt power. It's stiff and was bent down in a way that pressed hard on a sharp metal lip near the air reciever plenum. Yep, it was starting to cut thru.

Although it would probably trip the 20 amp circuit breaker if shorted, you never know. My confusion and curiousity had a reward for a change.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Yesterday you said that the stat runs off of 24v supplied from the compressor 120v supply. I'm glad you got that figured out. And Dude, the whole point of this thread was to figure out if his surge protector needed to use a time delay!
Update... My Progressive Industries EMS worked well during a power interuption during a storm this week while I was working inside my trailer with the ac unit on... the EMS did not resume 115v service for 2min15sec, allowing my ac to equalize, and the ac did come back on immediately when 115v was restored by the EMS (just as it did in Barry's test steps).

And, Barry, don't be too hard on gljurczyk. I did more checking with Airxcel, and gljurczyk was describing how "park model" air conditioners work. Apparently, those models' thermostat operate at 24V and draw their voltage from the ac unit since "park models" don't have 12V batteries.

I learned that his ac setup is completely different than our "travel trailers" or "fifth wheels" and, I believe he was trying to point out that his park model unit does not behave nor need the same delay protection as yours or mine although it may still need surge protection.

I believe I'm becoming more ac-smart than ac-stupid thanks to everyone's patience here in teaching me (including the nice folks at Airxcel).