Old 06-14-2015, 09:17 PM   #1

A/C having problem

New Coachmen Freedom Express unit 3310 BHDS, 2015 model purchased in January. We have used this unit three (3) times since purchasing and it was not what we call hot here in S. Ga.- -yet. Now it is hot. The last five (5) days the temps have been 92+ degrees here. The last two (2) days I have been adding two (2) drawers to the lower kitchen cabinets and have had the A/C running, set on 80 degrees (why won't my degree sign thingy work?). This is a 13,500 BTU unit. BUT-the best I can get the interior of the TT is down to 90 degrees and it's parked under two big shade trees. The bunk slide is in, the kitchen/dining slide is out, and the air from the A/C is coming out of the "open" register somewhat in the middle of the TT, not the ducted register(s). It's now 9:07 p.m. and I just went out to turn off the lights in the TT which I had forgotten. The outside temp is 88 degrees, the thermostat in the TT is set on 80 degrees and it is 84 degrees in the TT. IF my memory serves me correctly, when I worked industrial maintenance we would be looking at a discharge air temp from our registers in the plant to be 52 degrees. Granted we were using chillers and not conventional package units on the roof. I just checked my house and I'm getting 52 degrees from a package unit and measured at the farthermost register from the unit. What, if anything, should I be looking for, or what can I do to make this TT system work better? Thanks, David

Old 06-14-2015, 09:26 PM   #2

You should have close to a 20 deg. Split from the return air temp and the supply air temp with the fan on high. If not there's a problem with it. Is it a Dometic? They are assembled in China and a lot have been shipped under charged with Freon. My 13.5k a/c was one of them. Call Dometic they will warranty it. I fixed my own but I'm a a/c man.

435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #3

Thanks "mud yapster". I will be back out there tomorrow and will check those temps. I will also pull the papers on the A/C to find out IF it is a Dometic. I'm thinking I will call the dealer's service department and ask them about the Dometic problem. I will also call Dometic about this. I probably need to climb up there and see if I can find a serial number also. It was 100 degrees here today at 4 p.m. with a heat index of 104. I was replacing the wood trim around a 5 x7 picture window on a house and I knew it was hot. I did pace myself to keep the bear off of my back. I did finish the job without a heat problem.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #4

I had a chance to do some testing today: The air entering the A/C unit was 84 degrees and the air coming out of the unit was 81 degrees. This was with the register on the unit open. I closed this register so the cool air would come out of the ceiling registers, allowed this to run for about an hour then tested again. I actually got the same readings: 84 going into the A/C unit and 84 coming out of each/all the registers. I called the selling dealer and talked to one of their tech people. He told me that IF I was getting something like a 9 degree or 10 degree difference between the incoming and outgoing air then that would be a good reading. I think I would rather have the 20 degree differential. I'm going to drop the faceplate/air distributor from inside the TT and look to see if there may be a place where the incoming and outgoing air may be crossing over. My only other option will be to hook up the unit and take it to the selling dealer which is about 90 miles away. Hmm, just had a though: I just may go out there about 3 o'clock in the morning and check the registers again.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #5

At those temps it would s not just leaking by. Is the compressor running or just the fan? Is the unit froze up from running non-stop? Is the condenser coil on the roof clean and not covered in a sheet of fur or cottonwood?
Old 07-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

To "Toddupton": The compressor is running, the fan is running. You can hear the compressor cycling off/on about every twenty minutes or so. I did go up on the roof and looked at the coils after dark and using a flashlight. The coils are very clean. I bought this unit new late January. We have used it three times now. The first outing the temps were low enough that we don't remember having to run the A/C. The other two times we did notice the inside of the TT rather warm but we blamed the hot weather and no shade. Now--The selling dealer tells me that if I bring it back up to them that it will be six (6) to eight (8) weeks before they can even look at the problem. They take units in based on "which unit on the lot is next"? A call to Dometic and they tell me that there are two (2) factory authorized service centers here in my town (Albany, Ga.) and they gave me the names and phone numbers. The first place I called is the only RV sales place around here for seventy-five (75) miles. They don't sell Cherokee but Dometic says they are an authorized service center for Dometic products. A call to them and they state that IF they did not sell the TT or the A/C unit they don't work on them. When I asked about them being a Dometic service center they agreed that they are but they don't work on units sold by someone else. The other place is just a repair/service center for different brands. The man who answered stated that they are a Dometic authorized service center and will/can work on my unit but--he has no room for another unit at his business and it will probably be about a month before he has room for mine. He took my name/number and told he he would put a post-em note on his 'puter screen to remind him to call me when the next units pulls out. He states the 20 degree differential also and says if mine is 8-9 degrees then most likely the unit is low on freon. Being a new unit under warranty he can replace the unit under warranty. Once he confirms the temp differentials and does an inspection for warranty purposes he can order the new A/C unit which should take 3-4 days to arrive then one day to replace the unit. But who knows how long it will take him to finish a unit and have room for mine. The next closest place for this work is seventy-five miles away and when I called them they also are full and cannot even look at it for a month--maybe. It sounds as if I am in the wrong business
Old 07-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #7

I would call domestic and let them know their authorized service center will not work on it. Then have domestic call another place for you and make arrangement to have the unit taken in. It is domestics problem now and if there service centers will not look at it then domestic needs to find someone who will.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:12 PM   #8

This is what I was on the phone for two (2) hours for today. The lady at Dometic, who was very nice, told me that "our authorized service centers cannot refuse to do warranty work on our units" meaning the A/C unit. I called the local RV sales/service/repair center again today, I asked for and got someone who stated they were the owner. He told me: "Dometic does not tell me how to run my business. I don't have to work on anything that I don't want to work on. I only work on A/C units that were attached to an RV we sold or an A/C unit we sold through our parts department". Now--do you wonder why this place has such a terrible reputation around here? The Dometic lady did give me three other centers but they were the one's I described in my other post. I guess at this point I will have to either wait for the local factory center to call me or take it to one of the other service centers. I may just wind up taking it back to the selling dealer as we have a non-camper vacation planned to leave out on the 9th. for nine days. At least IF they get it fixed before we return they will hold it for me at their site. The local guy told me that he doesn't have room to hold it IF he gets it finished before we return. Isn't owning a camper fun?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:35 PM   #9

If it were me, if bite the bullet, call a regular hvac tech and see what they'd charge to take a look and test freon pressure? If rather spend a couple hundred bucks than waste time waiting on a supposed service center. Maybe you have a friend that could help?
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:49 PM   #10
I Break Everything

Compressor cycling off and on every twenty minutes and still staying from 85-90 inside = problem. Compressor should not be short cycling. I'd get someone to check the freon and capacitor. Stay one them.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS MH
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote