Old 07-07-2019, 08:13 PM   #1

A/C questions

I have the system down pretty well but I am encountering some problems and would like some feedback. First thing is I am getting freeze ups and the camper is no longer cooling like it did before. They are to the point when the freeze detector turns off the compressor I can hear ice chunks blowing. The partition is sealed and in place, filter clean and will also do it without the filter installed as well, evaporator is clean as a whistle, doesn't matter if I am running ducted or dumping straight from the A/C unit. This is with the fan set to HIGH. We do not use low or auto. I also went up on the roof for grins and took the cover off and the condenser coil was clean as well. I know this sounds like a low freon issue but I can not find any oil leaks /residue on the tubing. I did not have a thermometer this past weekend with me but today right now the intake side is roughly 74 while the exhaust is 59 so the intake side is running about 15 degrees warmer than the exhaust so that seems to be in line what it should be? I can not confirm this was the case at the park and it sure did not feel like it. We would be at 80 degrees inside after sun down and about 6 hours later I could get it to 68-70 which makes me question the 15 degree difference I am seeing now. Last year I could bring it down to 65 in a couple hours tops.

2nd issue is if it is not freezing up it is misting water if you stand under the a/c dump vent. The roof is draining as normal so not sure why this is taking place. My theory is the coils are partially froze and some of the water is getting sucked into the squirrel cage fan instead of running down to the drain pan.

If this is in fact sounds like a freon issue I am prepared to replace the a/c. Campers a 2018 Grey Wolf 26DBH with a 15k dometic duotherm brisk air II that is sadly out of warranty or I would have the dealer look at it.

Thanks

ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
RiderBloke

Talk to your dealer real quick. I found my AC unit was actually under a 2 year warranty and so it was replaced for free AND for the first time I took out extended warranty on that new unit.
It does sound like your AC is losing its coolant. From what Iíve read they lose it where they filled it but didnít crimp the tube well enough. I wish they made them refillable and some have done that but you have to find the leak first.
Good luck with it.

RiderBloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post
I have the system down pretty well but I am encountering some problems and would like some feedback. First thing is I am getting freeze ups and the camper is no longer cooling like it did before. They are to the point when the freeze detector turns off the compressor I can hear ice chunks blowing. The partition is sealed and in place, filter clean and will also do it without the filter installed as well, evaporator is clean as a whistle, doesn't matter if I am running ducted or dumping straight from the A/C unit. This is with the fan set to HIGH. We do not use low or auto. I also went up on the roof for grins and took the cover off and the condenser coil was clean as well. I know this sounds like a low freon issue but I can not find any oil leaks /residue on the tubing. I did not have a thermometer this past weekend with me but today right now the intake side is roughly 74 while the exhaust is 59 so the intake side is running about 15 degrees warmer than the exhaust so that seems to be in line what it should be? I can not confirm this was the case at the park and it sure did not feel like it. We would be at 80 degrees inside after sun down and about 6 hours later I could get it to 68-70 which makes me question the 15 degree difference I am seeing now. Last year I could bring it down to 65 in a couple hours tops.

2nd issue is if it is not freezing up it is misting water if you stand under the a/c dump vent. The roof is draining as normal so not sure why this is taking place. My theory is the coils are partially froze and some of the water is getting sucked into the squirrel cage fan instead of running down to the drain pan.

If this is in fact sounds like a freon issue I am prepared to replace the a/c. Campers a 2018 Grey Wolf 26DBH with a 15k dometic duotherm brisk air II that is sadly out of warranty or I would have the dealer look at it.

Thanks
Refrigerant rarely leaves an oil residue on the low pressure side of the system.
If it's not under warranty an access port can be added to allow for leak seal additive and recharging.
I've spent many hours trying to find refrigerant leaks for customers; now it's one try with leak seal additive, then replace. My 10 year old home system has 5 years of good experience with leak seal.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote