Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #1

A/C Stops

Hey gang, not sure if this is better suited in the electrical/appliances forum, but wanted to take a stab at it.

I have a 2016 VIBE 308BHS - configured for a single Dometic AC now. Have an ongoing issue where the AC will stop intermittently, regardless of thermostat position.

Originally I thought it was freezing up, but I can reset the breakers for it and it will turn back on, blow cold, etc. Thermostat is set on cool/auto and never gives any indication that anything is wrong, the AC just wont kick back on.

Anything I could be missing or need to check?
PartsChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Is it tripping the breaker? If it is, you may have a capacitor or motor (fan or compressor) going out.

Is it still under warranty?
Old 05-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #3

1. Could be a real overload in the circuit causing the breaker to trip.
2. Could be a bad breaker. If you have another breaker in the panel of the same size, you can just swap the wires at the breakers to test.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:38 PM   #4

Or could be the delay built into the thermostat
Old 05-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #5

It wont actually trip the breaker - so my thought was that it was a weak breaker, may try to swap it and see what that gets me.

And yes - its under warranty still, just didnt want to lose out on good camping weekends with it sitting at the dealer if I could fix it myself
Old 05-31-2017, 09:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartsChaser View Post
Hey gang, not sure if this is better suited in the electrical/appliances forum, but wanted to take a stab at it.

I have a 2016 VIBE 308BHS - configured for a single Dometic AC now. Have an ongoing issue where the AC will stop intermittently, regardless of thermostat position.

Originally I thought it was freezing up, but I can reset the breakers for it and it will turn back on, blow cold, etc. Thermostat is set on cool/auto and never gives any indication that anything is wrong, the AC just wont kick back on.

Anything I could be missing or need to check?

Its been a few years, but, I used to do the a/c repairs for a dealership and they have a thermo limit breaker on top of the compressor and I would guess that is what is causing your trouble. It is sitting in a little cup like spot on top. Very easy to change and should still be cheap. I don't have any left or I would happily send one to you. Both Dometic and Coleman use similar limiters. Hope this helps.
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
Its been a few years, but, I used to do the a/c repairs for a dealership and they have a thermo limit breaker on top of the compressor and I would guess that is what is causing your trouble. It is sitting in a little cup like spot on top. Very easy to change and should still be cheap. I don't have any left or I would happily send one to you. Both Dometic and Coleman use similar limiters. Hope this helps.
Certainly worth a look, thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-31-2017, 10:27 AM   #8
Site Team

The part number for the overload protector is 3312301.009. They're pretty inexpensive if you don't want to take it to the dealer to get it replaced.

You may be able to call Dometic and get them to send you one since it's under warranty.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:41 AM   #9

Are you on a 15 amp line? That's what mine does when it can't get the compressor started...
AB_SP295BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_SP295BHS View Post
Are you on a 15 amp line? That's what mine does when it can't get the compressor started...
Nah - the campsite I am at has 50 amp hookups (was 30 last year and all were upgraded) so I think the power is decent, however it could have some odd fluctuations that may cause it.

I've not been to different campgrounds/areas to see if the condition follows or if its local to my usual spots.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:56 PM   #11

I have read the original post several times and am not totally clear. 1. a/c set low enough to be on 2. fan and compressor stop at the same time 3. they will not come back on until you reset the circuit breaker...regardless 4. once you reset... all is good till???
Do you have an EMS or could you get an amperage draw on the unit in operation? Have you measured the voltage at the park? If this is normal then my suspicion is as others stated.. bad overload? but these are self-resetting. If the compressor went out on thermal... resetting the breaker would do nothing there either..only time and temp drop would affect that.
If all these assumed and noted things are correct... then you must have a control or bad connection problem. Turning the 110V breaker will reset the a/c unit only(if I understand correctly on low voltage supply to the stat.), so this means the reset would be in the a/c unit itself which means a control board(assuming it has some sort) and this would reset the relay and restart the unit. I dunno.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:04 PM   #12

Apologies - the more I think about it in my head and discuss with others, my original explanation may not have been that clear.

Here is what I observe (when the condition is present, which is not 100% of the time).

- Wall T-stat is set to temp low enough to kick on the AC, fan on Auto
- Unit will cycle on and off (fan also cycles with the AC, does not run constant) for an undetermined time (hours, days, etc).
- When I notice that the fan and AC have not come back on in their normal cycle time, that is when I begin to check the thermostat, breakers, etc.

- Thermostat position/setting has not changed - light is still on "cool" and fan on auto
- My only real troubleshooting steps to this point has been to turn off the AC at the thermostat, then turn the A/C breaker (20amp in the camper) off, then back on
- This has cured it in the past - have not had enough time to really put more into it.

My curiosity with the overload being bad -- is that if that was the case, would the fan still kick on, just not blow cold air?

I am going to try a different campground/site this weekend and repeat my tests, and possibly look at a different thermostat, the factory Dometic one is not my favorite, thinking there may be something in that unit thats not sending the right signals as well.

Thanks again guys, good stuff to learn here, appreciate all the tips!
Old 05-31-2017, 06:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartsChaser View Post
Apologies - the more I think about it in my head and discuss with others, my original explanation may not have been that clear.

Here is what I observe (when the condition is present, which is not 100% of the time).

- Wall T-stat is set to temp low enough to kick on the AC, fan on Auto

- Unit will cycle on and off (fan also cycles with the AC, does not run constant) for an undetermined time (hours, days, etc).

- When I notice that the fan and AC have not come back on in their normal cycle time, that is when I begin to check the thermostat, breakers, etc.

- Thermostat position/setting has not changed - light is still on "cool" and fan on auto

- My only real troubleshooting steps to this point has been to turn off the AC at the thermostat, then turn the A/C breaker (20amp in the camper) off, then back on

- This has cured it in the past - have not had enough time to really put more into it.

My curiosity with the overload being bad -- is that if that was the case, would the fan still kick on, just not blow cold air?

I am going to try a different campground/site this weekend and repeat my tests, and possibly look at a different thermostat, the factory Dometic one is not my favorite, thinking there may be something in that unit thats not sending the right signals as well.

Thanks again guys, good stuff to learn here, appreciate all the tips!

Helpful I think.
I would try to turn fan to on and see if there is 110v to that. Eliminating one thing...breaker. This may also eliminate the transformer if it was powered from the a/c.

I assume you have tried to turn it down at the no start condition.

You are correct. The fan should still come on...with the exception of a stat malfunction.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote