Old 03-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
phat phrog stunt crew

a little schooling please

I discovered last season that my converter stopped working. As an upgrade, I have decided to go with progressive dynamics based on the user reviews on this site. Are these a sine wave type deal, a stepped sine or a modified sine wave. I gather a true sine wave is best from what I have read and what little I know about electricity. It will bite you and doesn't play well with water is the extent of my knowledge. Its coming up on camping season in my area and I want to be ready. Would a 60amp or 70 amp converter be better than what originally came in my sabre? The camper isn't close by so I am unsure exactly the model or output of the converter. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #2

You should not go down in amp but can go up the higher.

caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #3

There are CONverters and INverters. INverters change DC (battery) voltage to AC (household 120 volts). CONverters take shore power (household 120 volt AC) to make DC to power your lights, radio, fans, etc AND it charges the batteries.

Going with a Progressive Dynamics converter is a wise decision. This converter uses plain old house power to make pure DC power.

First answer: When choosing a converter, there isn't a choice of sine waves as that is a choice when buying an inverter.

So, onto your Second question about amperage. If you aren't increasing your battery capacity, pick a PD converter closest to your old converter's output, but not less. More output isn't necessary for a stock set up.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
phat phrog stunt crew

Thanks for the lessons. I knew somebody would be along shortly with good advice.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
phat phrog stunt crew

I see amazon has a 70 amp converter for 212, and an 80 amp converter for less than 250. Thanks for the helpful info