Old 05-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I feel like an idiot with this. So many make it work.

Let me ask you guys a question. One thing I considered last night. I had to put the dish in the backyard to get through the trees. There was a good 'hole' and I believe it got a good signal on all 3 satellites. However, I had to run 75 feet of coax, then through the window via a short 'flat' coax, then another piece to the receiver.

Is it POSSIBLE that the extended length of coax caused the Pathway to go nuts? I mean, it's powered only by the coax...

????

Length of coax shouldn't cause the problem and here's why I say this:

We were camping a couple months ago and DH couldn't get the automatic Winegard to receive the channels. He noticed a guy 3 spaces down from us was setting his up, using a "meter" and a regular dish.

Next thing I knew that guy and DH had run cable (the guy had an entire spool) from his site to ours THREE spaces away and connected it to our RV.

Had a perfect picture and got all channels.

Oh, and it was raining like the proverbial cow and flat rock.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
You know........I don't know. None of the coax I'm using is labeled.

Hmmmm.

I'd have to guess it's not RG6...RG6 would be labeled such, wouldn't it? I know this doesn't look or feel as thick as RG6 should.

One more thing to buy, but.............maybe you're onto something.

If the cable is only RG59, it'll be thin. This could be your problem if that's what you have. I'd check the cable and make sure it's RG6.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:35 AM   #13
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

You know, here's an interesting point about a SL3 vs SL5.

(and yes, the SL5 is a little more difficult to aim than a SL3)

We recently went to El Paso for a month. I set up and realized we were out of our local spot beam (DFW area) and I called in. What I didn't know was the tech didn't "commit" the service location change, when I called in.

So I keep fiddling with it for a bit to try and get the locals. No joy. Next morning, I see a DirecTV installer at the trailer next to us (which was a.... 365RL!!!) and I spoke to the guy and he told me that to get locals in El Paso you must have a SL5. Hmm....

I do some in depth googling and find out this doesn't appear to be true. I call DirecTV back and discover that the change of service location didn't get committed. They fix it and voila! We get locals. With our SL3.

Now, that said, here what the REAL truth was. The SL5 was required to get the SPANISH local channels and some of the additional SPANISH channels. For us, this was really not important.

POINT TO NOTE ABOUT DirecTV:

Your DVR has a screen where you can choose the antenna type. MAKE SURE IT MATCHES WHAT YOU HAVE!

Your DVR can tell you where to aim it. (enter your Zip)

Your DVR should have a signal strength screen. (use the grid, NOT the bars) and make sure you are on the correct transponder. Some zeros are fine, and you need generally signals at or over 70 to get HD. We usually get most of the readings in the 80 - 98 range.

Use a good quality RG6 cable, others will likely not work well, if at all.

If your system is SWiM, MAKE CERTAIN you are using the correct Power Inserter, as there are 2 different voltages!

Last, I would wager that you can use a SL3 just fine. (this is personal conjecture, based on some degree of experience)

Cheers!

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #14

Good points. But....I've already done all that, and all is kosher.

I can aim the dang thing. I can get SOME channels easily. But every 'tweak' makes A better and B worse. It's just not something I want to fiddle with for that length of time. Yes, I do realize it's probably "me" that's the culprit. But "me" is who I have to do it every time!!!

RG6 cable is ordered. The new Pathway is on its way. If it shows up and I get signal, then I'm happy to pay as you go with DISH. If it doesn't work, I'm going to shoot both dishes and the TV and give up.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #15
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

LOL! Good to see your a man of action AND have a sense of humor.

The situation you describe is common when adjusting a device that is "looking" at multiple sources. Why? Because in this case there are usually at least 3 satellites you must aim at.

Azimuth = horizontal radius (think compass degrees)

Tilt (aka "twist") = well, the angular relationship of a line, if drawn between at least 2 of the satellites in relation to what is "level" (horizontal) to you. For us, at home it's about 85*, but here in Galveston it is about 82*. And THIS setting is what matches your description of the challenge you are experiencing.

Elevation = well, up and down tilt, purely on a vertical axis.

So, if azimuth and elevation are correct, but tilt (twist) is off. You will hit at least one satellite, maybe even two, but not likely and every movement of either azimuth or elevation will make some improve and others get worse.

Remember, you must turn around to face the line of satellites (azimuth), then look up at the right angle of inclination (elevation), BUT... because your are looking through somewhat of a flat oval (like a slit), you must tilt (twist) your head (dish) to be able to see the 3 (or more) satellites at the same time.

And like dancing... once you get it... you got it!

Old 05-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #16

I hate to call a smart man a liar, me being a dummy and all (I'M JOKING--HOW BIG A BOY ARE YOU ANYWAY? ), but I did get it once. So no, once wasn't enough. But it was a mistake. I got mad, went out and just moved it somewhere, and BINGO, all came in. I have no idea what I did.

LOOK, I do appreciate this. I'm tongue in cheek somewhat, but I admit nothing is frustrating me more than this TT TV issue. I DO understand HOW to do it. I could write it out for anyone starting out wanting info, and I'd sound like a genius. But when I actually DO it, I mess it up.

I don't normally cotton up to Texans, but I'll make you a deal. If you'll come camping with us when we go, I'll cook for you. Now listen up. SOME things, like TV, I'm a failure at. But boy, cookin' ain't one of 'em. I do some larrupin' stuff. So think it over and let me know.

P.S.
I Promise to let you guys know how this turns out once the new Pathway gets here, and the new RG6, and new receiver........but I AM a heart patient, and had the BIG ONE 10 years ago, and I don't want to do that again. But this stuff is closing up my arteries, fast!@
Old 05-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #17
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

I'm pullin' for ya on this. I do know it can be an exercise in frustration that frequently seems more like an exercise in futility. It was pretty interesting for me that one time, I made the adjustments on the dish for Tilt and Elevation, laid the base down and it was level (pole was vertical), stuck it on, lined it up with my compass (by eye) and had all 3 satellites showing 82 - 99 !!!!

Went an bought lottery ticket and didn't win jack.

Anywho, I've taken far more of your time that I certainly deserve, but if we ever do cross paths in the RV's I'll bring some beer and see what's cookin'

Old 05-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #18

Well............the saga continues.

Dishformyrv finally gave up and said they'd send me a new DISH and RECEIVER. It was to be here Friday. I've waited ever since.

I finally sent an email saying "HELLO? No dish yet and it's Tuesday".

I got an email (I'm tempted to reproduce the email string here) saying it never got sent and they're overnighting one to me. WHAT?

I email back and ask why. The answer is........we dunno.

So, sometime tomorrow the new physical dish and receiver will arrive and I'll start all over again. I DID get RG6 coax (and yes I was using RG59 apparently) and it is bigger/tougher/etc. In desperation I tried the old dish and new coax, and it did acquire a signal faster. Still it's a long coax run, which doesn't help. However, the receiver still wouldn't activate, so.........back to square one.....waiting on new equipment. That's when I emailed saying "I'm WAITING....." and they finally got in gear.

I don't know what's going on. I don't. I'm ticked at the process, but they are trying to fix it......albeit too slowly.

More as it happens.........
Old 05-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #19

First, thanks to everyone for their input.

It's done. The new Pathway worked, but it took all day. Even the RG6 coax was apparently too long of a run (100').....which by the way is the common length for Direct portable dish and it ran fine when I could turn it, the length was no issue.... and I moved all over the yard. Got it done. The old one will be shipped back.

But I was told incorrectly about the original request to get CH 418........everyone, including DISH themselves, said it comes in the 120+ package. WRONGAMUNDO! It does not. You have to buy the Regional Sports Pak for $11.00 more per month. Took hours to get that straightened out.

THEN, when I did finally get CH 418, it was not in HD. UGGH!!! The lady had me do some code, and check each of the 3 sats, and sure enough, Sat 129 failed. She said that was the reason I didn't get HD......(????) Worse, she said I'd have to call a local tech to come fix it. She gave me the name of some independent TV guy the next town over!! ??? !!!

I told her that it was HER problem to call them for me, not mine. She said no. I told her Direct TV schedules a tech to come out and fix stuff, I don't have to do it! She said (for the 49th time) "I'm sorry for your inconvenience"! I ain't calling anyone. I figure this auto dish is so stinking sensitive that it has a tree branch in the halo of the receptive signal, POSSIBLY.............even though my DishPointer Pro phone app showed I had a clear shot to all 3 sats!!! Meaning, to me, that this auto dish is way too sensitive if it has a bug fly in the way!

Bottom line is.......I'm out a tone of money, time, and frustration. Here's what we've decided to do. Next camping trip, maybe next few, we'll take both dishes. Since DISH is pay as you go, we may or may not keep that long term. The capital for the Pathway is just money gone......if we can't get one signal, we'll try the other. That's temporary.......till we truly figure out this camping TV thing, and learn what we can do, and what we can live with.

End of Saga!!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm there with ya on this one! I tried for 45 minutes in my driveway to get a signal with a manual dish and couldn't get it. We have DirectTv in the house and a multitude of extra receivers. I would like HD, but when camping it's not a necessity for me, except movies, so I've ordered a winegard automatic dish and hoping it does the trick for me. Our movies are all on a media server with 12TB of storage and cat 5e run throughout. Anything more than 5 minutes is taking away from my relaxation, aka comfy chair and a beer.