Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #1

AC

I been having problems with my ac. It works fine at first, but after a couple hours on a hot day a build up if ice forms on the coils and then the air can no longer flow???
MAGDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #2

Location: Northern Wisconsin during summer, Snow Bird in Gulf Shores, AL
Sounds like it needs to be recharged. How old is the AC unit?

Have a good day.

Dave
emtdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #3

It could also be dirty. Air restrictions(dirt/crap) are the NO1 cause of a/c problems.
These systems are normally hermetically sealed(welded), so leaks are uncommon unless it just has a hole in it(no cooling).
Take the filter out and try to look at the intake/filter side of the evaporator(inside the TT) if you can see stuff, it's prolly dirty. A soft brush(aka old style hair brush) and lightly brush off in direction of coils running. Not against the fin direction. You can use a little spray cleaner like fantastic or 409 it won't hurt. Moist is better when cleaning.

Hope it fixes it.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #4

both the suggestions above would be my choice also. if it still freezes up after making sure the evap coil is clean, look for a little thermostat attached to the evap coil. i've heard it described as being blue from a dometic rep. the thermostat should shut down the compressor if the coil gets too cold.
most likely it's going to be a problem with the air flow. on a walk thru, i was told that running the quick cool duct open for extended length of time would do this. i've never seen it happen but they saw fit to mention it.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #5

Thanks, I will check on all of these helpful tips and as far as the age of the AC it is 8 years old!!! Very much appreciated!!!
MAGDAD is offline   Reply With Quote