Old 10-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #1

AC blowing hot air

Is this normal or do I have a problem? Temp in high 90s and all I get is hot air till it cools off in the late PM.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #2

No, of course A/C units are designed to blow cold air, not hot air when set on COOL. You should be able to cool your RV during the day, in the sun, and not have to wait until evening. Are you sure that you don't have a heat pump unit that is capable of heating as well as cooling? You could also have an a/c unit with heat strips that is also designed to heat. Do you have a thermostat that controls the unit or do you use the knob/switches that are on the unit it's self.
Bottom line is that you either have the a/c controls set incorrectly or you have a defective a/c. The a/c unit is a closed loop system so you cannot add "freon". If it's low on "freon", the unit will need to be replaced! I'd verify my a/c setting before I did anything else!!

2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:04 PM   #3

I do have thermostat and is set on cool, set at 75 deg, was fine last nite actually too cool then today up to 98 and all is blowing is the fan, temp is dropping now and unit is starting to blow cool air again. I did not touch the thermostat.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robndon View Post
I do have thermostat and is set on cool, set at 75 deg, was fine last nite actually too cool then today up to 98 and all is blowing is the fan, temp is dropping now and unit is starting to blow cool air again. I did not touch the thermostat.

If it's made by Dometic, it's probably defective and needs to be changed out. They're having a very bad year.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #5

Do you hear the compressor running or just the fan? The compressor will make a deep rumbling sound, quit different than just the fan. If the compressor is not running you could be low on Freon. A service center should be able to hook up his pressure gauges and determine if low Freon is the issue. The compressor should start and stop to control the temperature in your RV. The warm air you are feeling tells me the compressor is not running. It could not be running due to low Freon or a bad relay.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #6

It always helps if you can identify the RV (make, model, year) to get proper answers to a question. But, if you have a Dometic AC and is not cooling it may have lost it's charge. They are sealed units and can not be recharged, only solution is replacement. If the RV isn't very old it may be covered by warranty. Dometic usually has at least a 2 year warranty on their products and possibly a 3 year warranty.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #7

It is a Coleman AC. Again last night it worked fine cycled on and off now is not as cool as should be. I turned off the water heater to see if that will help as there may be too much power draw, yesterday AC water heater and hair dryer blew the shore breaker.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to PHILIPHD Send a message via Skype™ to PHILIPHD
Why are these units made as a closed loop. It seems ridiculous to have through away units.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILIPHD View Post
Why are these units made as a closed loop. It seems ridiculous to have through away units.
I agree, but had to replace my unit last spring as there is no way to add refrigerant. Luckily, it was covered by Dometic's 2 year warranty. However, the warranty period did not restart with the new unit, they retain the original 2 year time frame.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #10

Any A/C repair person can add ports in both the suction and highside. They really do not have to replace the whole unit to recharge it, A/C people have self tapping ports which will leak again so the solder in valves are better. Why pay 650.00 for a unit and installation when you can call and have a person repair it for probably under 200.00.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote