Old 07-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
AC causes smoke alarm to go off

We took the TT out this weekend. It is the first time we used the AC other than testing that worked. The first time we tested it, it caused the OEM alarm to go off. At that time I didn't pay attention to what I did to set it off and assumed it had to do new trailer out gassing and with the AC blowing into the the alarm. I also thought the cheap alarm they put into the trailer might have had something to do with the problem. I've since changed the alarm to one of Kidde's dual sensing models.

This weekend we fired the AC up as soon as we arrive at the CG. No problems with the alarm for many hours. As soon as the compressor stopped with the fan continuing to run the alarm would go off. If I turned the temperature down to restart the compressor the alarm would be fine until I set the temperature to cause the compressor to stop.

Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this?

The AC is a Frigidaire FRA052XT7 window mount unit. Here is a link to the specs: Frigidaire 5,000 BTU Window-Mounted Room Air Conditioner

I plan to call Frigidaire and Kidde tomorrow to see what they have to say but thought it wouldn't hurt to try here. I also plan to ask Palomino when I call them for some other AC issues dealing with drainage and filter access being blocked by the cabinet. I am also thinking if moving the alarm but would rather not make a bunch of holes in my ceiling if moving it won't work.

2015 F150 Ecoboost
2014 Palomini 142 CK
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
Could be a freon leak when the compressor kicks off???

2013 Berkshire 390 BH

2013 Berkshire 390BH
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
Thought I would provide and update on what I have learned so far. According to the alarm manufacturer alarms need to be at least 3' from any air vents or bathroom doors. A sudden change is temperature or humidity can/will cause false alarms due to interruption of the radiation flow from emitter to detector. The alarm is about 24" from the AC vent that blows directly on it and 6" from the bathroom (although we rarely use it if the campground has showers, etc).

The compressor had been running for a long time when I took measurements. Based on the measurements the AC was putting out air at 56 degrees when the compressor was running. The intake air was between 72 and 88 degrees depending upon the thermostat setting. Shortly after the compressor stopped the output air temperature would jump up to the intake temperature. The alarm would then go off. Given the temps and time frames involved the answer from the alarm company seems reasonable.

My next step is to move the alarm from its current location in the back to the front over the bed. Hopefully this will resolve the problem.
2015 F150 Ecoboost
2014 Palomini 142 CK
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote