Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
Sky&Scuba

AC Ducting and Vents Flagstaff 25KS

My first post on the Forums here. Great info here...

We just traded in our Kodiak 200QB for the Flagstaff 25KS and over all we are pretty happy with the new camper.

On the AC unit and Ducting it is real obvious that there is a duct in the foam roof insulation with two tracks that run from the front to the back.

What I don't understand is in the nice large bathroom the 25KS has they did not install any AC registers???

I took the fantastic Fan inside cover molding out and you can feel cold AC Air (When AC is on) coming from the sides. So I know that there is ducting in there.

So I bought two of these Amazon.com: D & W (8840WH) Spaceport Air Conditioner Ceiling Vent: Automotive

And I plan on cutting a hold in the ceiling and installing AC registers in the bathroom.

When I went back to the dealer I noticed that all the Flagstaff Micro Lites were like this no AC registers in the bathrooms?

Is there a reason that these Flagstaff were built like this and has anyone else noticed this?
kendive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #2

I agree, I saw the same scenario last week when I took mine apart. Both AC chase pre formed in styrofoam run all the way back to the bathroom. You can really add one each side. It's cool air going nowhere. Thanks for the post. I now may do the same. By the way, I took mine apart, because I heard a mouse "traveling" up there in the chase. He gained access above the black tank there is about 1/2" space between the top of tank, and the bottom of exterior floor. He then traveled up the vent pipe chase verticle between the bathroom wall and bnk wall. The vent pipe fortunate for him passed thru the AC chase before going thru the roof. So this is how he gained access. All fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Poper
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:41 AM   #3
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poper View Post
I agree, I saw the same scenario last week when I took mine apart. Both AC chase pre formed in styrofoam run all the way back to the bathroom. You can really add one each side. It's cool air going nowhere. Thanks for the post. I now may do the same. By the way, I took mine apart, because I heard a mouse "traveling" up there in the chase. He gained access above the black tank there is about 1/2" space between the top of tank, and the bottom of exterior floor. He then traveled up the vent pipe chase verticle between the bathroom wall and bnk wall. The vent pipe fortunate for him passed thru the AC chase before going thru the roof. So this is how he gained access. All fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Poper

Thanks for the info. I was thinking on getting a thermal ir camera and see if there is air ducts going back there but you have confirmed that for me now.

I will be adding the AC registers and I will post some pics later.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:16 AM   #4

They do not have a heat or A/C vent in the Rockwood either. Hasn't really been a problem for us. We do have a 14" fan in the bath so that pulls alot of air.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:26 AM   #5
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
They do not have a heat or A/C vent in the Rockwood either. Hasn't really been a problem for us. We do have a 14" fan in the bath so that pulls alot of air.
On the Flagstaff 25KS they do have a Heat Register right under the walk in shower which is nice. But no AC in there and I find that to be an issue.

What do you mean 14" fan? Just one that you set in the bathroom area or the fantastic fan in the roof?

I don't use the roof fan in the summer in Florida while running the AC.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendive View Post
On the Flagstaff 25KS they do have a Heat Register right under the walk in shower which is nice. But no AC in there and I find that to be an issue.

What do you mean 14" fan? Just one that you set in the bathroom area or the fantastic fan in the roof?

I don't use the roof fan in the summer in Florida while running the AC.
Fantastic fan, and we really do not do much cold weather camping, If we need heat we just use a portable heater at the door. Maybe that's why they cut the bottom of the door so high? Just really never found it to be that big of a problem for us. It's a pretty small bathroom and just leaving the door open when not in use seems to equal it out temp wise. There is a heat duct in the floor of the landing at the door. To be honest never had a trailer with a A/C vent in the bath before that I remember and this is my 4th trailer. Did have a heat duct in 1 trailer.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Fantastic fan, and we really do not do much cold weather camping, If we need heat we just use a portable heater at the door. Maybe that's why they cut the bottom of the door so high? Just really never found it to be that big of a problem for us. It's a pretty small bathroom and just leaving the door open when not in use seems to equal it out temp wise. There is a heat duct in the floor of the landing at the door. To be honest never had a trailer with a A/C vent in the bath before that I remember and this is my 4th trailer. Did have a heat duct in 1 trailer.
Yea this is also our forth camper and I had always had heat and AC in the bathroom not sure why this one don't and the 25KS has a very large bathroom for a camper.

And yes I can leave the bathroom door open and open the back main vent on the AC Unit and direct air back to the bathroom, but I feel I should not need to do that.

I may call forest river and ask also. I would not think they would come up with a good answer. I feel that it was to save money.

On the slide I found a missing track seal that runs up and down on the camper side of the slide system inside the camper. I have a good dealer and I told them and they just cut me some and I told them I would put it on myself. It was a pain to reach in there and get it on the track and feel better that it is there.

To me the flagstaff quality is lower that the Kodiak 200QB and Aerolite 30BHSL campers we have owned in the past, but we really liked this floor plan of the 25KS. We also lost some storage space because of the Murphy Bed but to me it was worth it. So far we are happy and I did not have to write a check for too much on the difference with the trade got a very good deal. The Kodiak 200QB was a 2011 and we bought the 2014 Flagstaff new off the lot.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #8

Well I agree with you, and you will never get a straight answer from FR. Sure they did it to save a couple of bucks. If I had a problem I would fix it to, I know they won't. One thing to remember is that there is no duct work for the A/C it is just a molded hole that carry's your air. So You have to hit it right to open it up. I have 1 A/C I would have to tap in before my bedroom, which would rob air flow to my bedroom, which is more important to me then the bathroom. Your only going to be putting out so much air. My unit the vents do not line up from the galley before to the one's in the bedroom they offset, but where they do it at might be a challenge to fine. If you find anything out let me know. I guess I really never thought of it, but I'm also not in Florida in the summer.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Well I agree with you, and you will never get a straight answer from FR. Sure they did it to save a couple of bucks. If I had a problem I would fix it to, I know they won't. One thing to remember is that there is no duct work for the A/C it is just a molded hole that carry's your air. So You have to hit it right to open it up. I have 1 A/C I would have to tap in before my bedroom, which would rob air flow to my bedroom, which is more important to me then the bathroom. Your only going to be putting out so much air. My unit the vents do not line up from the galley before to the one's in the bedroom they offset, but where they do it at might be a challenge to fine. If you find anything out let me know. I guess I really never thought of it, but I'm also not in Florida in the summer.
I understand it's not really duct work in the overhead of the camper and on the 25KS it's pretty straight forward where it is because it just two straight lines up and down the camper in the ceiling. Also that little space in the entire camper and that large AC unit will not make a difference with adding one or two AC registers in the back like it was intended to be.

I will post pics when I get it done. It will be a couple of weeks because I am out in the Gulf of Mexico on a Drill Ship at work now.

Tags
flagstaff, vent