Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2015, 06:08 PM   #1

Smile AC issues....

Hello folks.
My first post on this site is about the ac unit in our 2013 Silverback REA33 5th wheel. While the front of our unit will stay cool the bedroom area is a hot box! We have tried adjusting the ducts and closed the one vent on the unit as our dealer suggested that more cool air would then head to the bedroom. Unfortunately the amount of air coming from the bedroom ducts is very slight and no changes are noted when making any adjustments.
We are now talking a second ac unit for the bedroom, but since this is far from our first trailer, we are confused as to why the ac unit will not push air to the bedroom.
Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Cowcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #2

The way I read this is that you have "ducted" air conditioning with the duct work hidden within the ceiling. IF this is so try this simple test someone else told me about: With the A/C unit OFF, remove the air box from the unit and the cover for the A/C outlet in the bedroom. The air box houses the air filter (inlet air) and the vent for the outlet air. With the air box removed you should be able to see the duct work cut into the ceiling. Place a vacuum cleaner hose into the duct work that appears to be headed to the bedroom and turn the vacuum on. While holding a piece of tissue (Kleenex) in your hand place this into the duct work of the bedroom. You should be able to feel the vacuum trying to pull the tissue out of your hand. This will tell you IF you may have some type of blockage within the duct leading to the front bedroom. The person who told me this found that the tissue was not being pulled into his A/C duct. He then ran an electricians rigid fish tape into his duct and pulled out a nice sized piece of styrofoam, probably from the initial build of the unit.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:15 PM   #3

Will give this a try and advise.
Thanks...
Cowcop is offline   Reply With Quote