Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #11

AC Maintenance question ?

Thanks MillerTime for good tip,

here is the link for tractor "radiator genie"

But what I'm thinking - I can use water heater flashing gizmo, I've got today! It look almost like "radiator genie", has curve and jet and should do enough water pressure to flash coils from inside-out!

Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

Here's a pic of the air wand of the radiator genie, the water wand is identical- just air one has an adapter that screws in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130129_220417.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	23652  

Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #13

I got Camco RV Water Heater Tank Rinser and that should be good enough to rinse AC coils
Camco 11691 RV Water Heater Tank Rinser : Amazon.com : Automotive
Thank you for your help
Old 01-30-2013, 02:59 AM   #14
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar007 View Post
I've got a used 2008 28" W&P TT with two AC units. I'm going to do service on TT. I've got an idea about water heater. Next thing on my list is clean up roof (aluminum) and fiberglass walls.
I'm planing to start from the roof, so I don't get all the dirt on clean walls.
One thing came to my mind is - to do a clean-up of AC units as well.
My question is anyone know or did this and how you'd recommend it to do.
My main concern is cleaning up condenser (aluminum coils). I know that mild solution of water and Simple green will do, but I don't want the water going down.
Thanks,
Gene
Just a wordm to the wise, I bought a used camper and it had all those black dots on it. I used simple green as well cause I have used it for years, but it also took off my gel coat on the sides of the camper. I just that I would share that with you.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79 Nights Camped 2018 4 nights reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar007 View Post
Thank you rockwood06,
I will follow you advise on AC cleaning. Do you use any coating on the coils to prevent rust? like ZEP floor finish?
No, I do not coat the coils and I suggest if the coils are not coated leave them as they are and the reason for this as a home owner if you apply too much then you run the risk of blocking air flow to the coil. There are some equpment out there that have a coating on the condenser coils but that is applied by the company at the factory, most air cooled chillers that I have work on have coated condenser coils and the coating is green in color.

If at all possible try not to use any chemical.....But if you do and the aluminum starts to turn black and starts to smoke you better start flushing with water ASAP.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:08 AM   #16

OK!
- No Simple Green (will use boat wash stuff)
- No coat on coils
Thanks
Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #17

FYI > Found good AC cleaning tips here: Cleaning the AC coils - (Lots of pic's) - Sunline Coach Owner's Club

Thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
No, I do not coat the coils and I suggest if the coils are not coated leave them as they are and the reason for this as a home owner if you apply too much then you run the risk of blocking air flow to the coil. There are some equpment out there that have a coating on the condenser coils but that is applied by the company at the factory, most air cooled chillers that I have work on have coated condenser coils and the coating is green in color.

If at all possible try not to use any chemical.....But if you do and the aluminum starts to turn black and starts to smoke you better start flushing with water ASAP.
FYI - I found that in industrial applications maintenance personal does use coil coating. There few products available for that. One of them "Coil Guard" Home - DiversiTech.

Main reason I asked that question at the first time - I live on saltwater waterfront and I had to replace my working household AC unit due to a bad corrosion of the coils. For most of the people who's Campers not going to be exposed to salt damage, this is not critical at all. But! if you're planing to camp out lots of time at the seaside - that is a good thing to do.