Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 08:58 PM   #21
Trailer Park Supervisor

That is why it is so important to have the right size A/C for the space it is cooling. Too small and it won't keep space cool. Too large, and it won't cycle often enough to keep the space dehumidified.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
That is why it is so important to have the right size A/C for the space it is cooling. Too small and it won't keep space cool. Too large, and it won't cycle often enough to keep the space dehumidified.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	197101
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Difficult to do. It's oversized for a humid Florida winter but maybe not for an Arizona summer. Of course, I don't intend to go to either place in the summer.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #24

Air Conditioners are basically dehumidifiers that vent heat and moisture to the great outdoors. Air Conditioners do dehumidify. If they did not, all of us living in the south would be up to our elbows in mildew and black mold because the humidity was not lowered.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #25

Ft. Pierce Florida today reached 89 degrees and 87 percent. Camper was at 72 all day with 33 percent humidity. The camper is surrounded by condensate water. We have a Siberian Husky inside...gotta keep her comfy. Two 15K ac units. One cycles...the other runs continuously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1374.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	197107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1325.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	197108  
Old 02-18-2019, 09:36 PM   #26

FWIW: I found the Dometic Ceiling A/C in my Coachmen was not cycling properly because it has its thermostat internal in the unit, rather than a remote wall-mounted style. On maximum cold it would cycle the compressor off at about 77 degrees, so it was never on long enough to dehumidify. I installed a remote thermostat and that cured the problem. Another trick to enhance the dehumidification is to use the heater to raise the temperature into the low 80's, then switch to A/C. The higher temperature allows more efficient removal of humidity.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #27

When it comes to sizing there is not much to choose from . most problems are from improper installations or poor design of the controls and where they are located .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #28

For what it's worth, If you have a multi speed fan running the Fan on low it will remove more moisture from the air.

On low the coils get colder and the air passes thru the AC unit slower allowing more moisture to be removed.

The compressor runs at the same speed only the fan changes speed on the low setting.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #29

Good thoughts jwfrede! We are in Florida fighting the same issue. I finally figured out the problem and it was exactly what you said. It took me a day but I eventually got it. Heading out for a dehumidifier today. I am sure that will make all well. Thanks for the nice write up.
2014 Explorer & 2006 Jeep Unlimited
Oldnapapartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
FWIW: I found the Dometic Ceiling A/C in my Coachmen was not cycling properly because it has its thermostat internal in the unit, rather than a remote wall-mounted style. On maximum cold it would cycle the compressor off at about 77 degrees, so it was never on long enough to dehumidify. I installed a remote thermostat and that cured the problem. Another trick to enhance the dehumidification is to use the heater to raise the temperature into the low 80's, then switch to A/C. The higher temperature allows more efficient removal of humidity.
Did you install the remote unit yourself? If so what remote did you install and how difficult was it? If you paid an RV place how much was it, if you don't mind my asking?
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote