Old 09-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #1

AC not running at night

Happy Labor Day!!

We just returned from our most recent trip and looking for suggestions. We have a Dometic AC in our '14 Solaire 297. The AC will run fine all day long, but once we go to bed, it simply won't run. We've set the thermostat to incredibly low settings and will wake up warm with no AC running. If we turn the unit off, wait a few seconds and turn it on it will run fine for a while, then shut down again. We've gotten up 4-5 times a night to reset it. Any ideas? It's done this since we picked up the unit back in May.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Carknocker Family

I had to have mine replaced, under warranty, it kept popping the internal thermal breaker. Sounds like what yours is doing too.

2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #3

Would that still allow it to run with no issue during day and only have problems at night?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Carknocker Family

No, it would happen at anytime. Sometimes hours, sometimes minutes.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #5

The OP said "set the thermostat to incredibly low settings" Sounds like the unit is freezing up and a safety is shutting down the ac.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #6

Loss (low level) of refrigerant can also freeze up.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A/c is freezing up.

Your setting the thermostat to low. "Cold"

10-15 degrees below outside temp is max.

Your frost sensor may have Fallen off or is not working.

Air flow may be another issue.

Are "all" vents open ?

Try partially opening quick cool dump at the a/c and see what happens.

Name:   uploadfromtaptalk1409659851996.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  20.0 KB

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 10-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #8

I am having the same problem.
1. I will describe one specific instance but it occurs repeatedly throughout a day and night but not every time – most of the time it works as it should.
a. I woke up at 12:31 AM on Friday morning 8/1 for whatever reason. When I woke up I noticed that the fan for the HVAC unit had just come on but not the compressor. Then it cut off for about 1 minute and the fan came on again but not the compressor. As I laid awake, I decided to count and time this instance. Between 12:31AM and 12:44AM (13 minutes total) the fan came on and blew air for about a minute and turned off 8 times. The last time the compressor did come on and it blew cold air.

b. During this time I got up, turned on the light in the bedroom and looked at the digital thermometer I have in there and it read 70 degrees. The thermostat was set at 72 degrees per recommendation of Three Way Camper technician.

2. The scenario above has been happening repeatedly for some time now and is quite annoying. I first noticed it when I was sleeping and would wake up very hot and perspiring. I usually set the thermostat at 75 = 77. The technician at Three Way Campers said that Dometic has advised them that there could be as much as a 7 degree variation in temperature before the system would activate so that meant I should put the thermostat on 70 – 72 to ensure that I would be comfortable. I did not notice it when using the furnace so it may be an AC problem only.

It is now October and the same problem continues.
I bought this unit new in Oct 2013 and the problem has been there continuously. I have stayed in a hotel twice for the dealer to repair (two weeks total) and nothing has been done - Dometic says it is not a problem!!! BS
I have since noticed that if i move the thermostat (digital) one degree and then back to its original setting or simply turn it off and back on, the AC compressor will engage and work fine until the next round of this stuff.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #9

Dometic AC Problems - not cooling

1. The AC unit scenarios
a. After it has run a while at a given setting, it will no longer cool. I notice during weekends and mornings after it has been set at given setting for a long period the following will start to occur.
i. The air handler will come on for about 15 seconds then shut off. About a minute later, the air handler will come on again for about 15 seconds and then shut off. This process will repeat until I physically go over and change the thermostat setting.
1. I can lower it one degree and it will then run for 15 or 20 minutes with the compressor and air handler as it should and cool down the unit
2. I can lower it 1 degree and immediately raise it back 1 degree and it will then run for 15 20 minutes as it should with the compressor and air handler cooling the unit.
3. One time, I raised it 1 degree and it also came on and ran for 15 20 minutes and cooled down the unit as it should.
ii. As of 07/23/2014 I can bump the thermostat, the unit will cool as it should and then only the air handler will come on for its 10 15 seconds until I bump the thermostat again. I woke up at 1 AM, 2 AM, 3 AM, and 4 AM Thursday morning hot, listened to the air handler push air 2 or 3 times and then got up and moved the thermostat to cool it down again. After I got up to go to work, this scenario repeated itself until I left at which time I just turned the unit off completely.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #10

Just off the top of my head it sounds like the unit has an automatic high pressure reset switch that might be cycling. This opens when you have high head pressure. I'm more familiar with household units but this usually indicates a problem with the unit or low air flow caused by a bad condenser fan or blocked coils (think air filter).

Just want to add that for household units this can happen sometimes if the unit has been sitting unused for a few weeks/months with a long freon pipe run. During that time the freon can settle in the lower end of the pipe and cause the switch to trip. Usually this will clear up once the unit start running on regular cycles.