Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #21
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
are you meaning to say 2000w generators? Inverters only change 12v power to 120v, but Generators provide the 120v power directly. AC units don't run off of Inverters.
I believe they were referring to an inverter generator.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredtwo View Post
Being a new owner this subject is a concern I have with running the Dometic 13500 BTU on a 2000W Inverter. If I can do it without too much trouble all the better. I purchased 2 2000W Inverters to be on the safe side however, if I can tote just one and be able to boondock in comfort all the better.
I'd investigate the MicroAir softstart. Its not a hardstart cap and its not inexpensive, but it is much less expensive and less trouble than a second inverter generator.

There are a number of videos online showing the installation and an excellent thread on the airstream forum.

It wouldn't do what I wanted to do - run a 15K AC on a Champion 2000w inverter generator - although it MAY run a 13K AC unit. But I was impressed enough by both their product and customer service that I kept the unit even though they offered me my money back.

I can't remember the last time any company's product support people impressed me as much as MicroAir did. Good product backed by good people.
JohnNJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #23

Micro-Air EasyStart - You'll be glad you did

One More Time Around: Honda 2000i VS Dometic 13,500 Air Conditioner w/ Micro-Air EasyStart
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #24

AC on 15A service

The micro-air devices are nice for sure. However, they cost almost as much as a 2000 watt inverter generator.

You get much more bang for your buck by purchasing a second 2000 watt inverter generator than a micro-air.

With the micro-air you can start one ac with one 2000 watt inverter generator... but once running, you are using most/all of your generator's output. If you instead buy a second inverter generator, you can start and run two air conditioners or start and run one air conditioner along with several other things.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
The micro-air devices are nice for sure. However, they cost almost as much as a 2000 watt inverter generator.

You get much more bang for your buck by purchasing a second 2000 watt inverter generator than a micro-air.

With the micro-air you can start one ac with one 2000 watt inverter generator... but once running, you are using most/all of your generator's output. If you instead buy a second inverter generator, you can start and run two air conditioners or start and run one air conditioner along with several other things.
The math worked out differently for me. I wanted to use the ($350) MicroAir with a ($443) Champion 2000w inverter generator in order to avoid buying a ($1000) Honda inverter generator as I already had a dual-fuel Champion 3100w generator that worked just fine. Two Hondas will buy a lot of MicroAir units and are not significantly quieter than a single non-inverter Champion generator. If I was worried about running anything besides the AC it was much easier and less expensive to stay with my existing 3100w generator.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNJean View Post
The math worked out differently for me. I wanted to use the ($350) MicroAir with a ($443) Champion 2000w inverter generator in order to avoid buying a ($1000) Honda inverter generator as I already had a dual-fuel Champion 3100w generator that worked just fine. Two Hondas will buy a lot of MicroAir units and are not significantly quieter than a single non-inverter Champion generator. If I was worried about running anything besides the AC it was much easier and less expensive to stay with my existing 3100w generator.

You kind of lost me there with your switching between brands and sizes... but my point was (and I'll use your choice of generator in my example):

1 x Champion 2000w inverter generator + 1 x micro-air = $793.

-or-

2 x Champion 2000w inverter generators = $886.

For $93 extra you would have MUCH more flexibility.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
You kind of lost me there with your switching between brands and sizes... but my point was (and I'll use your choice of generator in my example):

1 x Champion 2000w inverter generator + 1 x micro-air = $793.

-or-

2 x Champion 2000w inverter generators = $886.

For $93 extra you would have MUCH more flexibility.
Buying 2 Champion 2000w inverter generators was never an option. I'm not going to drag around two little generators when my existing big generator works fine.

But I was looking for an alternative to buying a $1000 Honda that I think is terribly overpriced and would have also required the $350 MicroAir unit. A fair comparison is one Champion and MicroAir for $793 versus one Honda and MicroAir for $1350. That's $553 difference.

As I said, I was using my circumstances and my math, yours may vary.

I would also add that I didn't have very good luck with the Champion inverter generators. The first one I received was DOA. The second one - which appeared to have been refurbished - worked well for nearly 5 hours then refused to start. It also went back where it came from.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #28

Gas Isn't Free

My Honda runs about 6 hours on a tank of gas. I think a tank is about 1-1/2 gallons. That works out to 3 gallons for a 12 hour day. At $2/gallon, the payback for the Microair is less than 3 months payback seems reasonable to me. My understanding from the forums is that the Champions are noteably louder, and two are louder than one.

I'm buying a Micro-Air as soon as I can afford one. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
My Honda runs about 6 hours on a tank of gas. I think a tank is about 1-1/2 gallons. That works out to 3 gallons for a 12 hour day. At $2/gallon, the payback for the Microair is less than 3 months payback seems reasonable to me. My understanding from the forums is that the Champions are noteably louder, and two are louder than one.

I'm buying a Micro-Air as soon as I can afford one. I'll let you know how it goes.
If you scour the airstream forums you can come up with a significant discount code...maybe AIRSTREAM or airstream or Airstream. 'Can't remember which, but it worked for me a couple months ago.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #30

Thanks jeff nick for the tip.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #31

I use a 20amp outlet all the time to run AC power, never had a problem, or ever tripped a breaker for that matter, but be very sure your Adapter fits nice and snug and not loose, any looseness in the adapter could cause arc, and that'll melt your adapter.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #32
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
but be very sure your Adapter fits nice and snug and not loose, any looseness in the adapter could cause arc, and that'll melt your adapter.
Ahhh, ask me how I know about this?!! Wait...I suppose you don't have to ask now!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service