Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 12:16 AM   #1

AC only works on generator

Hello from Kansas. We are new to the forum, but not new to RVing. Since we just bought a Sunseeker and still have so much to learn we joined this forum.

Now, however, we are experiencing a problem and we are looking for any input on it. In May we bought a 2012 Sunseeker 3120 DS. We love the coach even though we haven't done a vacation in it yet. We have spent the last few weeks "making it our home away from home". But, we are having a problem with the ac. The day we bought it from the dealer, just as we were wrapping up the deal, the ac quit. It was late in the day and because the service dept didn't have a transfer switch (which is what they thought the problem was) they gave us a discount on the coach to get it fixed locally (the dealer is about 200 miles from home). We took the coach in to have the transfer switch fixed, but the ac was working fine, as well as everything else, so they didn't fix anything--that was a few weeks ago. Now the ac won't work again (it does work when on the generator), we took it back to the service place and, again, it worked just fine on both generator and when plugged in. So, that was yesterday. Here at home, we are back to the original problem, it won't work when we are plugged in. Any suggestions as to what to look for? My hubby is a pretty handy guy but he can't figure it out. Any input or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Colleen and Gene
Lindgrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:59 AM   #2

More than likely it IS the transfer switch that's giving you headaches. As they get older and if they have been abused (switching back and forth from shore power and genny under heavy load) often times they can start to "stick". #1 temporary remedy is to give it a good whack with a rubber mallet to help nudge the switch to flip. No joke. That doesn't always work, but with the intermittent failure you're explaining that would be the most likely culprit.

You can test it out the next time it happens. I'm kind of surprised the service center you took it to didn't bother to crack it open and at least take a look at it since it's exhibiting classic symptoms of a failing TS.

I hope it gets resolved quickly for you.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Iirc there was a a recall on some transfer switches a year or two ago.
Might be a good idea to get the model and serial number off it and check.
To me it sounds like the transfer switch as well.
One quick question.
@ home do you have an rv plug?
Or are you adapting your cord to plug into a 15 amp outlet?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #4
7 Year Class A RV'er

Is your unit 30A or 50A? If 50A, you might check the connection of the incoming shore power legs to the transfer switch. It's possible you have one loose wire and that's the leg that powers the AC unit. If so, get it tightened ASAP - major fire hazard! Just unplug from shore power and remove the cover from the ATS. You'll see where the 4 wires from the 50A service come in. One grounds to the cabinet, the middle one is the common (no power). Check the other two and torque them down. Hope this helps. If you're on 30A, this won't apply.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #5

I hope not to over simplify your problem, but when you are plugged in at home, does the rest of the coach power up? If not then a breaker on your home panel probably tripped when you turned on your a/c the first time, which would explain why it works fine when you take it to the repair shop and not at home. Just something to eliminate.
psgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
More than likely it IS the transfer switch that's giving you headaches. As they get older and if they have been abused (switching back and forth from shore power and genny under heavy load) often times they can start to "stick". #1 temporary remedy is to give it a good whack with a rubber mallet to help nudge the switch to flip. No joke. That doesn't always work, but with the intermittent failure you're explaining that would be the most likely culprit.

You can test it out the next time it happens. I'm kind of surprised the service center you took it to didn't bother to crack it open and at least take a look at it since it's exhibiting classic symptoms of a failing TS.

I hope it gets resolved quickly for you.

I should have mentioned that all other electronics (microwave, tv, etc.) work when plugged in, so we are thinking some kind of short re: the ac?
Old 06-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #7

Thanks for everyone's input. To answer several questions in one posting:

1. We are 30 amp.
2. When at home we are plugged in to 30 Amp outlet just for the RV
3. Everything powers up except the AC when plugged in (Microwave, TV)
4. We checked for all breakers that may have tripped, all is well.

We will check the model number on the current TS to see if it has been recalled.

So, now after mulling this over with you all, I think we have an AC issue? Bummer, we are leaving on vacation early next month.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have learned from eperience that often times the answer is right in front of you, I appreciate your input to clear the fog for us a bit.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend, in Kansas it is hot and muggy. Can't wait to begin heading for the mountains!

Old 06-20-2015, 05:47 PM   #8

If everything else operates on shore power probably not transfer switch. You might check the voltage on shore power with ac on. Could be a low voltage situation that keeps ac from starting.

Also Check the ac circuit breaker
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindgrens View Post
I should have mentioned that all other electronics (microwave, tv, etc.) work when plugged in, so we are thinking some kind of short re: the ac?
Sure is good to know that is the ac (air conditioning) that is not working and not the ac (supply), it will make it much easier to make suggestions......
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #10

Me, Too, But With Additional Mysteries

This was the week our 2011 Berkshire 390RB choked. The last of four major problems we identified is similar to yours. We left Taos, NM, headed for a repair facility in Colorado Springs because 1) the sofa slide doesn't stay in, 2) the OEM Dometic refrigerator (which until last week chilled to 33 degrees) now cools to 54 degrees, and 3) the OEM Girard on-demand water heater only responds to some demands (it's showing its feline side). The facility offered us a full-hookup, 50A site for the weekend. Unfortunately, 50A does not work (it did in Taos, but -- well, you know!). Generator works and (Mystery #1) so does the 50A cable adapted down to 20A. There's a relay block into which the power flows and the technician determined that it's bad, so, while we wait for the replacement part, spliced the incoming cable to the outgoing cable, disconnecting the generator (because there'd be no relay to switch from one source to the other). No power. Now, the wiring after the relay is good (both the 20A shore and 35A generator electrons flow properly), but (and that's Mystery #2) 50A doesn't. BTW, the 20A power is flowing through the relay that's not passing 50A (I kind of understand that - there's a bad leg in the relay that the 20A flow doesn't use). Anyway, it's been a pretty crappy week! The only possible bright side is that we have a service contract which, as I read it, covers everything I've listed with a $100 deductible. I'm hopeful that the claims guy read it the same way. Hopeful, but not optimistic.
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #11

I tend to agree with some of the other posters. Since your headed out on vacation, when you arrive at your destination, plug in. If the A/C works, your golden. Then, you 'll need to address your home shore connection. I bet it's your home shore supply. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #12

I had a similar problem with a receptacle at my home when I tried to power the RV. It was a grounding wire problem. A wire nut inside the receptacle box was loose as I recall.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

You need to check your voltage at home when the air conditioner is "trying" to start. If the voltage drops below 108 volts, everything but the air conditioner will work.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #14
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindgrens View Post
Hello from Kansas. We are new to the forum, but not new to RVing. Since we just bought a Sunseeker and still have so much to learn we joined this forum.

Now, however, we are experiencing a problem and we are looking for any input on it. In May we bought a 2012 Sunseeker 3120 DS. We love the coach even though we haven't done a vacation in it yet. We have spent the last few weeks "making it our home away from home". But, we are having a problem with the ac. The day we bought it from the dealer, just as we were wrapping up the deal, the ac quit. It was late in the day and because the service dept didn't have a transfer switch (which is what they thought the problem was) they gave us a discount on the coach to get it fixed locally (the dealer is about 200 miles from home). We took the coach in to have the transfer switch fixed, but the ac was working fine, as well as everything else, so they didn't fix anything--that was a few weeks ago. Now the ac won't work again (it does work when on the generator), we took it back to the service place and, again, it worked just fine on both generator and when plugged in. So, that was yesterday. Here at home, we are back to the original problem, it won't work when we are plugged in. Any suggestions as to what to look for? My hubby is a pretty handy guy but he can't figure it out. Any input or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Colleen and Gene
Does your thermostat work (does it display settings)? I had a similar and intermittent problem on my brand new Sunseeker MH, and after replacing the thermostat (which didn't make any difference) and lots of searching I finally found the problem: one of the wires inside the A/C unit which comes from the thermostat was nicked when they installed the unit and it made poor/intermittent contact. I removed the damaged part and reattached and sealed the wire. It has been working perfectly since. I am sure if I had taken it back to the dealer (50 miles away) it would have worked fine and they would have found nothing (Murphy's Law).
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator