Old 07-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
AC Problem

I have a 2000 Forest River 27RKSS and it just started not blowing cold air. We turned the AC off for a few hours. We also tripped the breakers to see if that would also fix it, but no luck.

Water also started dripping inside from the AC Unit and also outside from the roof.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Dan.

dpmehlhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou
Sounds like it could be the refrigeration coil iced up.

High humidity areas require the AC to cycle (shut off for a while) to prevent ice clogging the coil and shutting off air flow.

One thing to check is the ice sensor (if you have one) that is located at the end of a wire stuck in the coil heat transfer fins. If it has fallen out, you can ice up until the compressor overheats and shuts off.

The solution is prevention.

I use the "set the thermostat to 10 degrees below outside air temperature - max 90 degrees" technique to allow cycling in high humidity areas.

Setting the thermostat colder will not make it work better. In fact it can cause just the opposite effect for the reason stated.

Let the compressor cool by shutting it off completely and letting the ice melt. Go on the roof and check your drains (in the floor pan of the unit) by removing the cover (back section).

Once all ice has cleared (drop the filter - it is clean right?), and examine the coil face for "ice free" and the sensor in place). Set the thermostat as I stated (10 degrees below outside) and start the AC again.

If it blows cold, you win and have not burned up your compressor.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
Please let us know if you find anything. I am scanning posts to find a solution to the water dripping inside from the A/C. My A/C seems to continue to work, just leaks inside. Also drips outside, and that I understand is good.
Don & Kim
Willow Spring, NC
2012 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
2013 F-150 4x4 EB
vstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
"Herk7769" has some good advice there and it would pay you to follow through with that advice even if you only do it once. I had a problem with my '05 Grand Surveyor with water intermittently dripping from around the air box (that plastic part that directs the air on the ceiling) but only on extremely hot days. I tried everything that was posted on this forum including changing gaskets several times. I read somewhere on this forum about how the ceiling/roof of a TT will begin to sag over time especially where the A/C unit is sitting and this will allow water from the A/C to pool around the gasket between the A/C unit and the roof. I parked mine in my back yard as level as possible, set the A/C unit to 74 and let it run. I'm in S. GA. so I had the heat and humidity. I kept going up the step ladder to look and sure enough it looked like Lake Michigan up there all around the gasket between the A/C and the roof. Looking inside and I had two drips coming from around the air box. I removed the air box and I could actually see where water was seeping in under the foam gasket and the rubber membrane of the roof. I checked the bolts that hold the A/C in place and they were pretty snug. Not much later I ran across an article in an RV mag at the barber shop that described this very problem and a simple way to stop this drip, but only if you have a rubber roof. I'm going to try to give the short side of this: Remove the A/C unit out of the way of the opening on top of the RV. Clean all residue of the old gasket off completely. Now you have to be pretty handy-dandy with some wood working tools. You have to make a pedestal to go between the rubber roofing material and the plywood underneath the rubber roofing material. This will be approximately 3/8" thick, 2" wide all around, and fit the 14" x 14" opening just right. The outer edges of this pedestal should be tapered so as not to interfere with the rubber roofing material. By placing this pedestal between the roofing material and the plywood of the built-up RV roof you actually raise the A/C unit 3/8". This doesn't sound like much but remember that water will seek it's own level and will always run to the low side. I added this to mine along with a new gasket and have not had a drop leak yet, Thankfully. I ran the same test with the RV level and the water sort of spreads out over the roof of the RV rather than pools up under the A/C. I hope this helps.
Thurman is online now   Reply With Quote