Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 03:10 AM   #1

AC shutting off

Hi
I have a 2018 Forest River Cherokee travel trailer. The ac during auto cool cycle often shuts off. It also cycles between low and high when it is working . I have adjusted temp and it sometimes will come back on but ultimately I would take it out of auto mode and just put fan either low or high to get to work . Well last night even in low fan mode it shut off after a while . I then shut off fan and unit , then turned back on in high fan cool. It works after doing that . What is causing this ? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
cheftjpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftjpeck View Post
Hi
I have a 2018 Forest River Cherokee travel trailer. The ac during auto cool cycle often shuts off. It also cycles between low and high when it is working . I have adjusted temp and it sometimes will come back on but ultimately I would take it out of auto mode and just put fan either low or high to get to work . Well last night even in low fan mode it shut off after a while . I then shut off fan and unit , then turned back on in high fan cool. It works after doing that . What is causing this ? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
The compressor shuts off after the temp is met. If the fan is in AUTO then the fan will also shut off. When it calls for cool again both will come on. If the fan is set to the ON mode, then the fan will stay on when the compressor shuts off. You can set the fan speed to hi and low in either auto or on.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:48 AM   #3

If the fan is set to AUTO the fan speed will automatically revert to low speed when the temperature is within about 2 to 4 degrees of the temperature set on the thermostat. The fan speed automatically switches back to high when greater than about 4 degrees. So, the fan speed cycling is normal operation. As said, if the fan speed is set to something other than AUTO it will not cycle and will not shut down when the temperature on the thermostat is reached.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:05 AM   #4

It could be a lot of things, but when you put it in the on position, it should stay on and not shut off even when the compressor cycles. You have said it is also shutting off in that mode, it could be either the motor is going out on motor over load protection. Hard to say , how long does it shut down? The second thing is there is a little sensor in the evaporator coil on the roof, you might have a problem with that. That happens when your coil starts to freeze up. If you don't have a amp probe your not going to be able to tell. I'll bet the sensor is out of placement. Not many motors go bad but it can, once again the motor should not stop in the on position.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:07 AM   #5

Should read without a amp probe to read your motor amps.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Hi
Thank you
It kinda sounds like it's working as designed.

You said that "last night even in low fan mode it shut off after a while" did the fan stop or just the compressor? What makes me ask is that you also said that "I then shut off fan and unit" which sounds like the fan was still running.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #7
Just as confused as you

If you have a ceiling vent blowing towards the thermostat it could cause the A/C to shut off before the rest of the rv cools down.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #8

Had it in low fan (not auto) and it shut off (fan stopped blowing ) I turned off completely then back on high fan mode .. and it works again for now .
Coils are not frozen over and filter is changed and new ?
Old 03-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
Site Team

There have been some reports of similar problems and it turned out to be the control board. You can try to initialize the thermostat and see if that helps. It has in a few cases.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #10

Yes my point was that if that sensor is not position correctly your fan will work irradically. I guess it's worth a look. The coil doesn't have to forming ice per say. I doubt it's the stat, that would be easy to find out jumper the stat out and proceed from there. Things to check, stat, blower motor, capacitor,.sensor and ciructt board. I'm not a fan of Dometic, I'll say that right up front.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #11

Gotta love electronics... The unit isn't really old enough to have a "worn out" motor. My suspicion is a quirky thermostat. Warranty? if not check the model and buy as you will.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Gotta love electronics... The unit isn't really old enough to have a "worn out" motor. My suspicion is a quirky thermostat. Warranty? if not check the model and buy as you will.
Yeah it actually did this a few times since we first got it but of course camping world couldn’t duplicate it ..
Where is best place to get thermosyat? How can I tell which one to get ? I’m sorry if I’m asking too many questions
Old 03-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Yeah it actually did this a few times since we first got it but of course camping world couldn’t duplicate it ..
Where is best place to get thermosyat? How can I tell which one to get ? I’m sorry if I’m asking too many questions
Call dometic, or you could probably fine one on eBay, they normally have pictures. Dometic are different you can't just buy another stat, instead of positive 12 volt they use a negative ground. They are the only people who do that.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:32 PM   #14

Thank you .. I will replace thermostat and go from there
Old 03-21-2019, 08:39 PM   #15

Quote:
If you aren't in a hurry...eBay can be a good source. Once you figure out which one it is.... You can Google the model/style and see your best source. It wouldn't surprise me if it were Coleman...unless you already stated that I didn't see.

If you need help post a pic and we can try
Old 03-21-2019, 08:42 PM   #16

Ps: if it is Coleman and it's analog I think they make a digital replacement for 30-40% more.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Had it in low fan (not auto) and it shut off (fan stopped blowing ) I turned off completely then back on high fan mode .. and it works again for now .
Coils are not frozen over and filter is changed and new ?
Do you have central air at home or a window unit? RV air works more like a central unit than a window job. Be sure you understand the operation before you go changing the T-stat.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Do you have central air at home or a window unit? RV air works more like a central unit than a window job. Be sure you understand the operation before you go changing the T-stat.
I have central air and understand how a central air works. I have had it on high fan all day today and it hasn’t gone off .
I know when the rv ac is on auto it starts out in high mode then kicks to low fan mode when temps are closer then off when temp is achieved. Currently the unit will work perfectly then it will stop .. and no matter how low I drop temp It won’t come on ..I have to shut it off and turn back on /. Then even earlier i had it low fan mode then it went off after a while .. I had to turn it on fan mode and so far it had stayed running .. it will turn in ac itself if it gets warmer than set temp .. it’s only a year old ... very frustrating ...
Old 03-21-2019, 10:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
If you aren't in a hurry...eBay can be a good source. Once you figure out which one it is.... You can Google the model/style and see your best source. It wouldn't surprise me if it were Coleman...unless you already stated that I didn't see.

If you need help post a pic and we can try
It’s a dometic .. been trying to post a pic without much luck .. single unit .. controls ac and heat .. non programmable .. pretty basic lcd with blue lighting background
Old 03-22-2019, 07:12 AM   #20

Is this your stat?Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_081005.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	199344