Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #1

AC unit quits working

Hi,

I have a Tracer 3000 BHD (prime manufacturing - by forest river). Just recently the AC unit will quit after running for a couple of mins. At first I thought it was the breaker being tripped because the AC unit quits as well as the fan shuts off (if it's on manual or auto).

I have turned the breaker on and off with no luck. I just have to wait for 2 or 3mins, then the unit will turn back on.

When it shuts down, and I switch the thermostat from cool to off and back again or the fan from high to low I can hear the switch happening in the AC unit but nothing happens. I just have to wait.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this?
Thanks.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:59 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

Where's the thermostat? Is the AC blowing on it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Hi,

I have a Tracer 3000 BHD (prime manufacturing - by forest river). Just recently the AC unit will quit after running for a couple of mins. At first I thought it was the breaker being tripped because the AC unit quits as well as the fan shuts off (if it's on manual or auto).

I have turned the breaker on and off with no luck. I just have to wait for 2 or 3mins, then the unit will turn back on.

When it shuts down, and I switch the thermostat from cool to off and back again or the fan from high to low I can hear the switch happening in the AC unit but nothing happens. I just have to wait.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this?
Thanks.
that's the time delay built into the stat. Once you shut it off it has to go through the process again. It gives the compressor time to equalize pressure. If you don't shut it off it should just cycle like normal.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:14 AM   #4
Site Team

How old is the unit?

What make and model is the air conditioner?

What do you have the t-stat setpoint on?

Is it a couple of minutes every time?
Old 07-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses.

It's a 2010, no idea the make of the AC unit I'll find out and post it. The thermostat is kind of close to the AC unit but that has never been an issue in the past and in this case I doubt that is the problem since the fan doesn't work either.

Just turning the unit to 'On', not 'auto' the fan should blow but it quits along with the AC unit.

This only started happening the last few times we've used the trailer. It happens when we first turn it on and after about 5 mins it quits, then I have to turn it off and wait a few mins before it will work again. It does this 2 or 3 times then works without issue for 12hrs straight. I haven't tried just leaving it in the on position to see if it will start again. The temp is usually set at 16c.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the responses.

It's a 2010, no idea the make of the AC unit I'll find out and post it. The thermostat is kind of close to the AC unit but that has never been an issue in the past and in this case I doubt that is the problem since the fan doesn't work either.

Just turning the unit to 'On', not 'auto' the fan should blow but it quits along with the AC unit.

This only started happening the last few times we've used the trailer. It happens when we first turn it on and after about 5 mins it quits, then I have to turn it off and wait a few mins before it will work again. It does this 2 or 3 times then works without issue for 12hrs straight. I haven't tried just leaving it in the on position to see if it will start again. The temp is usually set at 16c.
If still will not work without touching the stat it can be anything from a burnt wire, bad capacitor or contactor, what is the make of the stat, did you or someone change it out to digital, could just be the battery if you did. You could have a loose 110v wire also at the unit. If your uncomfortable at looking at that stuff then call a Mobile repair service or take it in to a dealer or if it's a Coleman they have service centers, do not know about Dometic.....The unit is 6 years old so really don't know how much you would want to put in it depending what is found..... PS: also check your ground wire 12V if it has one some do not

Old 07-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
Site Team

Can you post a pic of the t-stat?

It may be a problem with the t-stat. If you can post a pic of it, we can tell you how to jump it out to see if the A/C keeps running. Then you'll know where to start looking.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #8

Mine acts similarly. It is a 2016 13.5k unit. It appears to happen most in very humid times. I thought it may be freezing but not so. It doesn't run long enough to freeze, or wait long enough to thaw or for the timer to tun out. Opening the downdraft usually fixes it, then runs normally after that.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #9

Freeze Sensor

Take off the cover and make sure the freeze sensor is in correctly.... Should be deep into the coil
sears532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #10

I checked it, it was lying loose. I placed it in the coil and that helped. Will recheck it. Thanks.
Andersen hitch
Old 07-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #11

I reckecked and it is still in the coils where I placed it. Thst apparently helped as I only had to open the downdraft once on a four day trip in 100 degree heat with no shade.
Perhaps the original poster should check this as well.
Andersen hitch
Old 07-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #12

IMO, you have a thermostat problem. Most AC units have separate relays for compressor and fan. It would be very odd to have intermittent issues with both.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:20 AM   #13

It's a dometic brand AC unit. Oddly enough, since posting this the issue has stopped but I'm not confident it won't start again since it has done it once before.

I too find it odd that the setting the switch to on, the fan doesn't work. That would take the AC unit out as a possible cause since the fan should still run without the AC running.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #14

the last post mentioned a freeze sensor. we were having intermittent problems with our a/c and it turned out to be a damaged freeze sensor up in the a/c unit. we were also getting error codes (E5 if I remember) on the thermostat. technician replaced the freeze sensor and all has been good.
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #15

Quote:
It's a dometic brand AC unit. Oddly enough, since posting this the issue has stopped but I'm not confident it won't start again since it has done it once before.

I too find it odd that the setting the switch to on, the fan doesn't work. That would take the AC unit out as a possible cause since the fan should still run without the AC running.
That's right, what it is doing is energizing your fan wire, once you do that it sends the power to the fan relay in the unit that pulls the contactor or relay in. If the unit is running normal now, just try the fan in the on position and see if it will come on. If it won't come on it would be either the stat or the contactor relay in the unit, I don't know much about Dometic but there should be a board that the wire hooks to which will pass it to the relay. At that time if it didn't come on then jumper the red and either green or blue wire at the stat that will by-pass the stat. If it's still not coming on then it would be the board or relay(might all be one) If it comes on when jumpered then it's the stat, if not the board. Intermittent problems are hard to fine, so you need a plan when you catch it. My money is on the board, but they are costly$$$$. So you want to make sure, learned here on the forum that Dometic uses the negative wire for there units. Did HVAC most my life and never heard of that before, that's why I don't like dometic, there the only unit that is wired like that. Hope your problem stays away them damn little gremlins.....