Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #1

Add electric to bunkroom of 2601

We are hoping to put in an offer today on a 2011 Ultra Lite 2601s. Our only hesitation is that there are no outlets in the bunk room (quad bunks)--only the overhead and two reading lights. Anyone know if it's possible/safe to rewire? Our goal would be to convert the room into an office so we'd need power for computer and monitor. Even if we use it as a bedroom, we'd want power for charging phones or using clocks. Thoughts? TIA

(I'll make my official welcome post when we buy the camper. Forest River has been our priority, so hopefully we'll end up with this one or another.)
ChristyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #2

Could always run an electrical "inlet" on one of the exterior walls. Then you can plug an extension cord in at the pedestal of the camp ground power, and the other end plugs into the inlet. On the inside of the trailer, you now have power for your office.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #3

Thank you! This is one of the ideas my husband put out last night. This may sound sad, but we couldn't remember how many outlets are usually on the pedestal for each camping spot. ? (We've been in cabins for a while.)
Old 05-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyK View Post
Thank you! This is one of the ideas my husband put out last night. This may sound sad, but we couldn't remember how many outlets are usually on the pedestal for each camping spot. ? (We've been in cabins for a while.)
Usually 2 or 3. On a 50amp site, you'll get a 50, 30, and 15. On a 30amp site, you'll get a 30 and 15. BUT- not always.

I'm actually planning on adding a bunch of outlets to my current camper. If I had space to add a breaker, I was going to drop a line down from it into the under belly. Instead, I have to tap into an existing electrical outlet (replace it, add a box, and add extra cables off of it) and down into the under belly.

I'll then run back to the walls where I want the outlets underneath of the camper. I'll use surface-mount wiremold to get up to the height that I want the outlet and then surface-mount boxes for the outlets themselves.

My intention is to just use Romex for the runs. I know that stranded is better, but RVs do just fine with Romex now. I will use stranded to get electric into a slide, but that's because that portion actually DOES move.

Given the usage you described, it all seems fairly minor. A computer + monitor doesn't take much. Running a space heater or something with high electrical requirements is a different story.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
Ham Call N8SAC

My last camper had a outlet added separate from the house wiring. For a electric heater they ran #12 extension cord thru same portal as the 30 Amp.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #6

By any chance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyK View Post
We are hoping to put in an offer today on a 2011 Ultra Lite 2601s. Our only hesitation is that there are no outlets in the bunk room (quad bunks)--only the overhead and two reading lights. Anyone know if it's possible/safe to rewire? Our goal would be to convert the room into an office so we'd need power for computer and monitor. Even if we use it as a bedroom, we'd want power for charging phones or using clocks. Thoughts? TIA

(I'll make my official welcome post when we buy the camper. Forest River has been our priority, so hopefully we'll end up with this one or another.)
By any chance is there an outlet on the interior wall next to the toilet/linen cabinet? It would be a simple matter to connect an outlet on the opposite side of the wall in the bunk room. Just make sure you make the hole between the same two studs, and use a shallow box.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #7

Thank you very much for the feedback. Larry, I believe there was only a bathroom outlet on the front of the sink cabinet, but I'll check that tomorrow if we haven't waited to long to snag it.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:58 PM   #8

Add electric

When you make your offer, make that part of the deal. Have Dealer do it. Then hopefully it's done right.
831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, electric, roo