Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #1

Adding A/C to an older TT ??

Hello Everyone , I am embarking on helping a friend add an AC unit to a really cool 1978 Aristocrat TT . We do a lot of horse trading between us and help each other with just about all of our projects usually one of us is more knowledgeable then the other but on this project neither of us knows quite what to do .lol. I'm Pretty sure we can cut the hole in the roof and get it mounted but neither of us are too sure how to wire the thing up . We were thinking dedicated cord from the ac to be plugged in directly to power outlet (generator/wall) . Or would we be better off trying to add it to the existing electrical system . I feel like adding it to electrical system probably wouldn't work since the TT wasn't spec'd for AC and we were hoping not to have to repace any of the stuff in there since it all works perfectly . I'm hoping someone here could shed some light on this install for us . Thanks in advance ,Rick

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #2

Typically you will see a blank plate next to one of the existing 14x14 roof vents. If one is there, thats where the AC goes and it is already wired. No need to cut holes. Simply remove the vent, drop the unit in, bolt it down and connect to the existing wiring.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Typically you will see a blank plate next to one of the existing 14x14 roof vents. If one is there, thats where the AC goes and it is already wired. No need to cut holes. Simply remove the vent, drop the unit in, bolt it down and connect to the existing wiring.
If thats the case its really going to be an easy install !!! I really hope that the case with a TT this old .

Old 04-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
Hello Everyone , I am embarking on helping a friend add an AC unit to a really cool 1978 Aristocrat TT . We do a lot of horse trading between us and help each other with just about all of our projects usually one of us is more knowledgeable then the other but on this project neither of us knows quite what to do .lol. I'm Pretty sure we can cut the hole in the roof and get it mounted but neither of us are too sure how to wire the thing up . We were thinking dedicated cord from the ac to be plugged in directly to power outlet (generator/wall) . Or would we be better off trying to add it to the existing electrical system . I feel like adding it to electrical system probably wouldn't work since the TT wasn't spec'd for AC and we were hoping not to have to repace any of the stuff in there since it all works perfectly . I'm hoping someone here could shed some light on this install for us . Thanks in advance ,Rick

How many amp service is your TT? I assume 30.
Do you already have an air conditioner?
Do you have an available space on your breaker box?

I'm not familiar with how electrical was done back then. I would assume similar as today with a main breaker panel, but who knows.

Ideally, I would wire to camper's breaker box.

Do you know how the roof is constructed? The air conditioner hole needs to be 14"x14" and requires a square "frame" between the roof and ceiling to prevent crushing. Is there an existing hole (normally occupied by a vent) that you will use?

I recently installed a 3rd air conditioner - where there was no hole, wiring or frame - so I can help with the process.

The big unknown is the roof truss construction and spacing. You'll want to figure that out before cutting a hole in the roof.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
How many amp service is your TT? I assume 30.
Do you already have an air conditioner?
Do you have an available space on your breaker box?

I'm not familiar with how electrical was done back then. I would assume similar as today with a main breaker panel, but who knows.

Ideally, I would wire to camper's breaker box.

Do you know how the roof is constructed? The air conditioner hole needs to be 14"x14" and requires a square "frame" between the roof and ceiling to prevent crushing. Is there an existing hole (normally occupied by a vent) that you will use?

I recently installed a 3rd air conditioner - where there was no hole, wiring or frame - so I can help with the process.

The big unknown is the roof truss construction and spacing. You'll want to figure that out before cutting a hole in the roof.

Thank you for the reply . I will answer the best I can because I haven't had the chance to really inspect the TT as its a friends and we are just starting to plan this out .

I do not know what amp service the trailer is or if there is a place for an AC Breaker . But he and I both feel this would be the ideal way to have it wired up.

I don't know how the roof is constructed but there is an existing vent hole we planned to use if possible .

I wish I knew more but I am sure as we embark on this project I will have lots more info .

Old 04-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
Thank you for the reply . I will answer the best I can because I haven't had the chance to really inspect the TT as its a friends and we are just starting to plan this out .

I do not know what amp service the trailer is or if there is a place for an AC Breaker . But he and I both feel this would be the ideal way to have it wired up.

I don't know how the roof is constructed but there is an existing vent hole we planned to use if possible .

I wish I knew more but I am sure as we embark on this project I will have lots more info .

Here are some pics of my latest upgrade. It might help you visualize what you are in for. Keep in mind, I had to cut a hole because I did not have a vent/light already in place. Your install may be more or less complicated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1067.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	134325Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1068.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	134326Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1069.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	134327Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1070.jpg
Size:	357.6 KB
ID:	134328Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	134330Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1075.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	134331Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1259.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	134332Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1261.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	134333Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1292.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	452.5 KB
ID:	134334Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1293.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	134335
Old 04-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #7

More pics...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1294.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	134336Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1295.jpg
Size:	518.8 KB
ID:	134337Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1296.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	134338Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1297.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	134339Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1298.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	134340
Old 04-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #8

WOW NICE WORK !!! Thanks for all the pictures it definitely helps give me a visual of what we are getting ourselves into . Doesn't really appear to be too complicated just a little time consuming .

BTW very nice trailer !!!