Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #21

SPP6 or SPP6E has been engineered and built for our little AC compressor motors. There are different "start assist" kits for different situations, but this is the one for our units. We don't have to be mathematicians of scientists or know someone that is. The added capacitance along with a method of removing it, either by considering voltage or positive temperature coefficient (PTCR where R is relay) in the case of the SPP6E is engineered in. It is cool what is going on electrically, but most really don't care. The "run" capacitor simply could use more capacitance from dead start to get the motor up to speed under less than ideal situations... that is when voltage is lower from either a campground with an issue or a generator that is slow to respond to the sudden load demand. A generator is always slow.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

I do not the in and out either but I thought a few people had issues with the e since it was rated for a higher voltage than the regular spp6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #23

After 33 years as service tech in hvac I found a 2cent resistor on a $200 model specific control board keeps a $2000.00 unit from cooling. I like mechanical relays better. They may cost ten bucks but two or three models can replace most any type and they are always in stock on my truck. After 4 years the duo-therm board gave up on my old rig. Two relays later good as new and still going 13 years later for the kids that have it.

sandyd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

Put it in today.. First one that showed up was rattling and parts were coming out of it.. Seems to be good. I cannot start the ac using the eu2000 in economic mode but once I shut it off it fires up with a little hesitation.

Last thing, I hooked the double spade connector to the ac run cap and the other to the common. I do not believe there is a right and wrong way to plug it correct? Nothing was labeled to say what HAD to go where. Thanks!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Put it in today.. First one that showed up was rattling and parts were coming out of it.. Seems to be good. I cannot start the ac using the eu2000 in economic mode but once I shut it off it fires up with a little hesitation.

Last thing, I hooked the double spade connector to the ac run cap and the other to the common. I do not believe there is a right and wrong way to plug it correct? Nothing was labeled to say what HAD to go where. Thanks!

NO you are correct makes no difference.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #26
Who Dares, Wins

Thank you. It worked so I figured I could not have messed it up to bad... But wanted to make sure before I took the ladder down. Thanks, very easy mod.

I do not know if I will ever run on just the one geni, but good to know I can and helps the two start easier.. With the two paired it was no hesitation before starting right up, throttle barely reved .

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

So an update. Used the AC with just one geni while parked at a rest area. I was able to run the AC on it for a short while, it did eventually overload. It was not doing this when I installed and tested at home.. The difference was the fridge was also running off the geni as well. Once it was onto propane only.. no more problems.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-23-2015, 06:41 PM   #28

Read a lot of info here and on other forums about hard start caps and never thought of needing one. At our seasonal over the 4th, one leg of the 50 amp svc just didn't have enough to kick the compressor over on our 15k main as the campground was just slammed full and it was toasty outside so everyone was running their AC. Good news was the other leg had no problems so our 13.5k bedroom AC did at least keep the camper somewhat cool.

So now to prevent that from happening again I am going to put a hard start cap in.

A couple of questions for some smarter people?

- SPP6 or SPP6e? Why? (We don't usually run off of a generator unless I bring it home).

- DisCharging the current run cap - should this be done with a screwdriver or using a resistor? Silly question but discharge before pulling/adding wires or after as I have seen recommendations to do it both ways. I'd think you want to discharge before actually touching the existing cap.....
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
Read a lot of info here and on other forums about hard start caps and never thought of needing one. At our seasonal over the 4th, one leg of the 50 amp svc just didn't have enough to kick the compressor over on our 15k main as the campground was just slammed full and it was toasty outside so everyone was running their AC. Good news was the other leg had no problems so our 13.5k bedroom AC did at least keep the camper somewhat cool.

So now to prevent that from happening again I am going to put a hard start cap in.

A couple of questions for some smarter people?

- SPP6 or SPP6e? Why? (We don't usually run off of a generator unless I bring it home).

- DisCharging the current run cap - should this be done with a screwdriver or using a resistor? Silly question but discharge before pulling/adding wires or after as I have seen recommendations to do it both ways. I'd think you want to discharge before actually touching the existing cap.....
I would use a the SPP6 and pull the wires off the tabs and then discharge the cap before adding the new start cap. Discharge it by a screw driver. If at that time you want to test it use an ohm meter should go to infinity and drop back to zero. Also check to make sure you do not see any leakage or bulges then rehook your wires back up the SPP6 should have piggy back connectors attached to it. Off course make sure you have no 110v power on and do not short the terminals as you pull them off. DO NOT DISCHARGE IT WITH THE WIRES CONNECTED. A SPP6 will still work with a generator or without.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #30

Don't know if anyone else tries this but I discharge my caps by turning on the ac WITHOUT 110v connected. I hear a click from the unit and then I turn off the t-stat.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Don't know if anyone else tries this but I discharge my caps by turning on the ac WITHOUT 110v connected. I hear a click from the unit and then I turn off the t-stat.
I have never heard of that or tied it. After doing HVAC I would not trust that it discharged. The power is already stored in it, can't see how that would discharge a capacitor. You would be taking a chance with out shorting it out....

Old 07-24-2015, 08:07 AM   #32

Well, much to the DW's disappointment, I'm still alive! 😝

I just thought I would throw out might crazy thought for someone with more experience to let me know if I'm safe or insane.

Just glad to get away
Old 07-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Well, much to the DW's disappointment, I'm still alive! 😝

I just thought I would throw out might crazy thought for someone with more experience to let me know if I'm safe or insane.
well your probably safe being the small capacitor, but I wouldn't try it on a 5 ton unit with alot higher megs stored. Better to be safe then sorry, I don't think that little charge would hurt you but it might make you jump and fall off the roof...

Old 07-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
well your probably safe being the small capacitor, but I wouldn't try it on a 5 ton unit with alot higher megs stored. Better to be safe then sorry, I don't think that little charge would hurt you but it might make you jump and fall off the roof...

3.5t hurts too....one got me the other day as I was adding a SPP6. I would use an analog meter if you have one...it is safer than shorting. I was told years ago..not to short then out. I never do if I care about the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post

Good thing DW doesn't read this otherwise she would send me back up there and spray the hose on me while I'm messing with it!

Just glad to get away
Old 07-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
3.5t hurts too....one got me the other day as I was adding a SPP6. I would use an analog meter if you have one...it is safer than shorting. I was told years ago..not to short then out. I never do if I care about the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I shorted them out for over 20 years doing HVAC....