Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #41

Lucky me, there is a 12 power port near the tv in our 2504s. When there is no 120volt available, I just plug in the 400watt peak for nverter (limited to 150 watts when using the power port) and plug in the tv. The fan is quiet enough that there is no problem hearing the tv. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
If you are dry camping, add a remote switch. If on shore power nothing to worry about.
Ditto. Any inverter has a draw even with no load. Pure sinr, even more than modifiedc sine. But, assuming you are not on shore power, or you won't need it,. I suggest only an inverter that you can turn off. Remote switch even uses some current but at least I can switch mine off. A TV with an inline power supply like a lap top can sometimes run direct off the batteries. Others like my 19.4 volt 32 inch Samsung smart TV, I power with an inline converter that boosts 12 v to 19 v. Surprisingly, when the TV is off, that thing draws NO CURRENT.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #43

This might not help current situations - but - for future planning - there is a way to avoid using a DC to AC inverter for TVs.

I purchased a large screen TV (34"??) for my 5th wheel. It has a 120 VAC power supply that is a lot like the power supplies for laptops - with an output of 18VDC, and it plugs into the TV. You can find portable laptop power supplies that convert 12 Volts (typically a cigarette lighter plug..) - and can output a range of voltages - from 14 to 20 Volts (rotate the dial) ....and it comes with a variety of plug-in tips to match a broad variety of computers.

The innovative camper people here might be able to find a BOOST Converter (check EBay) for one that will boost the voltage from 12 V to 18V (or what ever is needed) - and then find a proper plug connector and wire it in. AND - if you really want some 'protections' - you can make a box that holds a mechanical wind timer (think of the type used in bathrooms to turn on the vent fan...but one that can be set for up to 6 to 12 hours). Run your 12V from the trailer cigarette lighter into the timer box...then to your BOOST converter...to your TV. Set the timer to the desired time so all the power is removed when you have fallen asleep!

Face it - with modern TVs - why boost 12 V to 120VAC (standard inverter) - then plug in what might be a laptop power supply that converts the 120VAC to a suitable low voltage DC to power the TV. Waste of energy (out of a limited battery to boot!)

The link below is a place to get started...if you are into DIY stuff. (NOTE - proceed at your own risk. You must take responsibility to ensure the DC power is wired properly into any Boost Power supply - and you must ensure the plug to the TV is also wired properly. You must select the proper voltage output - AND ensure that it is properly sized (correct wattage). But - it is relatively easy to do this!

https://www.powerstream.com/ADC-p006.htm
vineyardmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:25 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Hope you realize that a 400W inverter will pull 33A and even more during a surge.
so a 120w tv will draw 33a even if your not using 400w,
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
so a 120w tv will draw 33a even if your not using 400w,
No, I think hammer meant to say that during a surge it would pull 33 or more amps. At least that's the way I read it.

I used a 150 watt modified sine wave inverter plugged into a cigarette type outlet. I used it to power a 32in led flat screen tv, Roku, and blue ray player. Worked like a champ.

Mike
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec557 View Post
No, I think hammer meant to say that during a surge it would pull 33 or more amps. At least that's the way I read it.

I used a 150 watt modified sine wave inverter plugged into a cigarette type outlet. I used it to power a 32in led flat screen tv, Roku, and blue ray player. Worked like a champ.

Mike
what I was getting at is just because something is rated at a certain value, does not mean that is what is draws, like a 800 amp service does not draw 800 amps, it is capable of that but the load could be as small as 2 amps
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #47
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
In case you want to, or need to know, you can hook it up and see what your actual current draw is with an amp meter. Or the battery monitor if you have one. Then you have an idea how long you can use it before running down your batteries. As other posters have said, almost all inverters will draw some current while on, in standby, even while running nothing.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #48

No time to read 5 pages this morning.

Some small TVs use a transformer between the TV and the wall and 12vDC comes out of the transformer. No need for an inverter to change from 12vDC to 120vAC and then back to 12vDC, just make a power cord and plug directly into your 12vDC system.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
what I was getting at is just because something is rated at a certain value, does not mean that is what is draws, like a 800 amp service does not draw 800 amps, it is capable of that but the load could be as small as 2 amps
Of course it wouldn't. I was pointing it out because he had his inverter on a 15A fused wire and that he was never going to be able to use the full capabilities of his large inverter he bought. Why not buy a smaller inverter if you are going to do that.

As far as using an inverter vs trying to find a DC to DC converter if the TV is using a higher voltage than 12V, the amount of loss difference between an inverter and a DC to DC converter is gong to be negligible for a TV that us using maybe 70W.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #50

I recommend the Bestek300 PureSineWave w/switch

I have installed a 300W inverter by Bestek for the 32" set in our RV. It has a built-in switch and two power outlets. My full Amazon review/tests of this inverter can be found here.
Attached Images

Zurakowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #51

Inverter advice

4 things - 1) most importantly spend the money and buy a quality brand inverter. |Check reviews. We started with a cheap chinese brand and it caught on fire shortly after installing it! We were in the RV and caught it but it could have been a disaster.
2) For sure buy the pure sine wave type. They cost a little more but your electronics will thank you
3) Consider installing it near your power panel and hard wiring one of your circuits to the inverter. I did one that provides power to both TVs and DVD players plus one other outlet. I marked all outlets with "Inverter" so I would know to not plug in a space heater or heavier load
4) Buy a larger capacity than you currently need. The incremental cost is not that great and you will find it comes in handy for more than you initially anticipated
GlennFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennFC View Post
4 things - 1) most importantly spend the money and buy a quality brand inverter. |Check reviews. We started with a cheap chinese brand and it caught on fire shortly after installing it! We were in the RV and caught it but it could have been a disaster.
2) For sure buy the pure sine wave type. They cost a little more but your electronics will thank you
3) Consider installing it near your power panel and hard wiring one of your circuits to the inverter. I did one that provides power to both TVs and DVD players plus one other outlet. I marked all outlets with "Inverter" so I would know to not plug in a space heater or heavier load
4) Buy a larger capacity than you currently need. The incremental cost is not that great and you will find it comes in handy for more than you initially anticipated
Installing an inverter as suggested would be OK if it's a SMALL inverter of 200 watts or less. Larger inverters start to draw currents equal to or greater than the amp hour rating of battery(s) and will require very large wire sizes. Large inverters should be installed as close to the battery bank as possible with the largest wire size that's practical. Then run the 120 volt output to where you need it using far smaller (and less expensive) wires.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:19 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurakowg View Post
I have installed a 300W inverter by Bestek for the 32" set in our RV. It has a built-in switch and two power outlets. My full Amazon review/tests of this inverter can be found here.

I just got one of those for that purpose! Glad to see you’re happy with it!
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:19 AM   #54

My requirement was for it to not have a fan. Happened to have one from *something* in the past. Some $15 thing. No way it's pure sine. TV doesn't care....
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter