Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #1

After market wireless back up camera?

We are looking for advice on a wireless back up camera for our 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 248RBS. It is not camera ready. Any advice would be welcome and very helpful. Thank you in advance.
Raymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #2

We went with the Furrion hi-speed Observation camera system for our Coachmen Apex 269RBKS. It works great as both a rear view camera as well as driving down the highway I can see what's behind me.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #3

I've been using equipment from Tadi Brothers for years. It's not wireless but works great.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #4

Thank you for your responses. glsimms, do you have a 7 inch screen because I'm afraid we won't be able to see the 4 inch monitor and can I ask what model you have? Thanks.
Raymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymom View Post
Thank you for your responses. glsimms, do you have a 7 inch screen because I'm afraid we won't be able to see the 4 inch monitor and can I ask what model you have? Thanks.
To my knowledge Furrion does not offer a 7" screen. Ours is 4" and I can see everything clearly. Picture is sharp and clear and no interferences at all. Very happy with it.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #6

Our Coachman Freedom Express Liberty Edition (2017) came with an RV Eye. We love it!
kayharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #7
StlClay

Endorsements for Tadi Brothers

Been using their wireless system on both my trailer and truck. Good product and good prices

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:29 PM   #8

Furrion offers two models. One is a back up camera only and the other is an observation camera which lets you see while you drive and while you backup. Difference is about $100 between cameras. Decide what you need .

2014 Coachmen Brookstone 325RL
2015 Chev Silverado 2500 Diesel.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Check out Zone Defense.
Wireless Camera System w/7" Monitor.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
We are looking for advice on a wireless back up camera for our 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 248RBS. It is not camera ready. Any advice would be welcome and very helpful. Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the forum!!

There is often a misconception of terminology for a rear facing camera. A "backup camera" functions only when the vehicle is in reverse. A "rear view", "rear observation", "rear facing camera" will give a rear view vision full time. The rear view type, as others will attest, is by far the best way to go. A full time camera on the far rear of your rig is invaluable for knowing what is in your blind spot directly behind the trailer and for making lane changes. Companies such as Furion have both, so be clear when ordering.

A wireless camera still requires a power wire and a ground. This can be taken off the rear clearance lights. You will have to have those lights on for the camera to function.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:
A 7" screen would be adequate. The bigger, the better-as long as it does not interfere with your forward vision. A 4" screen is pushing the limits for our tiring eyes.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooiebob View Post
I've been using equipment from Tadi Brothers for years. It's not wireless but works great.
Do you ever have video drop out(screen goes black) when you are runnning down the road? I have heard some people complain that their wireless sometimes loses connection between camera and display.

ROG
whitehedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #13

I just purchased the furion observation camera and I love it, no problem with mine so far!
Bubbajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #14
Tps
Constantly Confused

Just for backing into tight spaces, I use my GoPro Session with a suction cup mount on the back of my 22RR, and pair it with my 10" Samsung tablet. Big screen, good camera... I usually have the camera with use for use on the toys we travel with... it's a multi-use camera then.
Tps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:13 PM   #15

I have also used Tadi Brothers with great luck.
UltraLimitedLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:32 PM   #16

wireless camera

I purchased a Reolink web cam. Though any webcam would work. I also installed a router with wi-fi. Now I can see the Reolink on my iPad.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Welcome to the forum!!

There is often a misconception of terminology for a rear facing camera. A "backup camera" functions only when the vehicle is in reverse. A "rear view", "rear observation", "rear facing camera" will give a rear view vision full time. The rear view type, as others will attest, is by far the best way to go. A full time camera on the far rear of your rig is invaluable for knowing what is in your blind spot directly behind the trailer and for making lane changes. Companies such as Furion have both, so be clear when ordering.

A wireless camera still requires a power wire and a ground. This can be taken off the rear clearance lights. You will have to have those lights on for the camera to function.
it all depends on how you wire it if you go to constant hot 12 v then does not need rev to use always on. if you tie it it back up light then only rev.
i put a switch in bedroom to kill camera when off the road
santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #18

After a lot of research I purchased a 4UCam model 9901 Digital wireless camera. I read many good reviews.

Tested it today before mounting it. Works great from the back of the trailer to my truck all the way out to the end of our driveway. About 100'.

Where I mounted it may be of interest to some. I mounted it on the angled panel just under the rear living room window instead of up around the marker light. I connected the power to the license plate light. It might be too low to some folks, but, I believe I'll be able to see anyone coming up to pass from either side without issue. I'm not worried about low hanging obstacles as we'll be scouting out that possibility before backing up to a spot. In the future I'll post about my experience with it mounted this way.
Tekonsha P3 Electronic Brake Control

jay55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera

« inverter | TV »