Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #1

Aiming DirecTV?

This is not an RV question but I know there are some experts here. I have DirecTV at home with the slimline dish. I get no HD channels other than the local ones. Today I am not getting my local channels and after a heated discussion with the guy at DirecTV, I believe my aim is off a little. Is it possible to get the regular (200 and up) channels and not the locals that are between 11 and 46? They want $50 to come and look at it and I think that's crazy given what I'm paying for service for only one reciever.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #2

It could be possible that your locals are on a different sattelite than your other channels and that your are slightly off on your dish aim. The HD sattelites have a much more narrow beam area and need good dish aim to pick up. There is a good forum that you can get to from the DirecTv website. I read some things there that helped me figure out my problems and also some good ideas on dish aiming.

HTH
Old 01-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #3

how far are you from your "home" station? We were able to get locals quite a distance. Also -- I had to put b-bands converters (I think) on the receiver for locals to come in. You should get exactly the same service in the RV that you would get in your home. IF you have a signal over ~75 all channels should show up. H

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #4

If the signal is off a little touch, you can lose channels. I have had to readjust it a few times while I camp. Have you checked your signal strength?
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Site Team

There are 3 things you need to worry about when aiming a dish. Azmuth, elevation and skew. If one of those are off a little you will lose one of the satellites and the local spot beam is usually the first to go. Having said that it's pretty easy to re-aim a dish. Go to the settings on your receiver and make sure you have the correct type dish selected and then input your location and it'll give you the settings you need. If everything is set correctly you could have a bad LNB.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #6

Well, I decided to let it rest last night and if they didn't work today I was planning to call them and invite them to take their equipment off my house. When I got home, the channels worked. I'm assuming that since that has never happened before and there was no wind or otherwise bad weather, they may have had a problem on their end. I'm on the verge of switching to Dish at the very least to get some new incentives. I can't believe how they'll treat you as a new customer signing up for 2 years vs. the people that have been with them for 15 years.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #7

If setting round non HD satellite no need to worry about skew. If you go into satellite setting on receiver and type in the zip code of your location it will tell u Azimuth and elevation for your location. The tweak your satellite using signal strength meter. Usally have mine set up in 5 to 10 min. with picture
I get all my locals all over state of Ohio. Havent tried out of state.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote