Old 08-12-2019, 05:19 AM   #1

Air conditioner draining on roof

In May I purchased a new 2019 Geo Pro 19FD. After waiting a few weeks to get a dedicated 30 amp circuit installed on one of my buildings, I was able to check out the AC. It was defective and I took it back to dealer and after about 4 weeks they replaced it with a new AC...AIRXCEL model 47203B879. I brought it home Saturday, and Sunday I turned the AC on to check it out. It was in the low 90s and high humidity here in NC. The AC cooled very well and appeared to be functioning correctly. Later in the day I noticed water dripping from the lfront eft corner gutter extender. I looked on the roof and saw that the AC was draining water on the roof and the water was running under the flexible solar panel into the gutter. My question is, is it normal for AC unit to drain itís water directly on to the roof? Or is there a drain line that may have an issue, or is there a heater of some sort that is not working?

Old 08-12-2019, 05:30 AM   #2

Normal

Old 08-12-2019, 05:30 AM   #3

That is how all AC units drain, no drain lines like your AC unit at home. A little thing I do when camping is deciding where I want the water to drain and then when I'm leveling the TT I'll put a little pitch to the TT to make the water drain to whatever corner I want the water to drain from.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:33 AM   #4

Normal and the higher the relative humidity the greater the quantity.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:42 AM   #5

Thanks

Thanks so much. I had a hunch and was hoping that be the case. Now on to checking out the other systems, etc.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #6

Normal drain but I did see something interesting acouple days ago here where we stay at Alice Springs RV park in Ionia MI
It was a forest product and when the AC dripped it came where his storage door was, he took a pool noodle and slid it on the drip thingy and re routed the drip. Pretty cool idea if it drains in the wrong area.

<a href=http://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>http://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsthetwoofus View Post
Normal drain but I did see something interesting acouple days ago here where we stay at Alice Springs RV park in Ionia MI
It was a forest product and when the AC dripped it came where his storage door was, he took a pool noodle and slid it on the drip thingy and re routed the drip. Pretty cool idea if it drains in the wrong area.
That's a Forest River product...above..I couldn't edit my post.

<a href=http://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>http://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesley View Post
In May I purchased a new 2019 Geo Pro 19FD. After waiting a few weeks to get a dedicated 30 amp circuit installed on one of my buildings, I was able to check out the AC. It was defective and I took it back to dealer and after about 4 weeks they replaced it with a new AC...AIRXCEL model 47203B879. I brought it home Saturday, and Sunday I turned the AC on to check it out. It was in the low 90s and high humidity here in NC. The AC cooled very well and appeared to be functioning correctly. Later in the day I noticed water dripping from the lfront eft corner gutter extender. I looked on the roof and saw that the AC was draining water on the roof and the water was running under the flexible solar panel into the gutter. My question is, is it normal for AC unit to drain itís water directly on to the roof? Or is there a drain line that may have an issue, or is there a heater of some sort that is not working?
Normal !
Old 08-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #9

After leveling and turning on the AC, I always check where the water is draining. If it drains forward by the door, I adjust a little nose higher to have it gravity flow to the rear. We use a Big Orange bucket to catch the water dripping off. It's also a just in case runaway campfire Fire Bucket! Water shouldn't be in a puddle anywhere on the roof but running off toward a gutter drain if you have them.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #10

If you have or can get ahold of a used CPAP hose they will slip right over the drain spout. I connect two together with a PVC coupling and cut one short enough to run the water into a bucket. Looks kind of red neck but it works.
cdconine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesley View Post
Thanks so much. I had a hunch and was hoping that be the case. Now on to checking out the other systems, etc.

Normal operation.
Let us know of any other questions that we can help you feel at ease.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #12
Site Team

Keep in mind that you can control which end and which side the water runs off by how you level the TT. Just level it slightly lower on one corner and it will drain there.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #13

When it rains, your roof will have more water on it than the AC draining. That will be normal also.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:59 PM   #14

My problem is the water being slightly rusty and it stains the roof over time.
jeffkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:24 PM   #15

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkeys View Post
^^^^ This! ^^^^
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkeys View Post
In the scale (pun) of life, this is a small thing.

Equipment is to be used and there by gets dirty and worn. Put a dent or two.. (three) on your unit and the last thing that will come to your mind is a rusty stream of AC water on your roof. Life is for Living and the Adventure... "Carpe Diem"

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #17

There are probably two drain holes from the condensation pan (one on each side). Trouble begins if those holes get plugged over time with debris including algae. Clean while cleaning the rest of the upper part of your AC.

Navigator = Xiangbing
Crew = NaNa & NiuNiu
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, drain, roo, roof