Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #1

Air conditioner drip

Camping last week when the monsoon hit. Heavy rain all day and real stuffy in the camper so kept the air on. Late in the day it started dripping water. Turned it off and got a steady stream for about 10 seconds then it stopped. Rain continued to be very heavy for next few hours but no leaks. Should I be checking something in the air conditioner?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #2

"kb4srn": Under the evaporator of the rooftop A/C is a drain tray which channels the water from the evaporator away from the A/C unit. Supposedly. These small plastic trays are only about 1/2" wide x 3/4" deep and get stopped up from just road dust, small leaf particles, etc. Running the A/C during a rain means that you have even more moisture in the air then you are in TN which is a high humidity area on top of all that. The drip could easily be from a stopped up drain tray. The shroud for your A/C unit would have to be removed to access this tray for inspection and/or cleaning. Another factor would be that under a heavy rain there would be a build up of rain water on the roof of your TT, at least the photo shows a TT. Rain tends to puddle up around the base of a rooftop mounted A/C unit and will leak in around the gasket between the A/C unit and your roof. Even though your unit is a 2013 I'm betting that there is some roof sag in the area of your A/C allowing water to puddle up under the A/C unit. When you turned the unit off you stopped the air flow around the bottom of the A/C unit and this allowed the puddled up water to flow under the bottom of your A/C unit and possibly leak in between the gasket and TT roof. There was an article posted in this forum some months back (maybe 8-10 months) about how to build a pedestal to place underneath the rubber roof of a TT to prevent water from standing on the roof under the A/C unit. I did my '05 unit this way and have not had any leakage at the A/C unit since regardless of weather/rain conditions.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #3

Thanks. Will check this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner