Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #1

Question Air Conditioner Very Loud

Hi All,

This past week was the first time camping when we really needed and ran the a/c unit. Cooled the interior very nice but DW could not stand the noise and it kept her from getting a good nights sleep. Didn't bother me any!

I did see a post here from 2011 concerning the similar problem and responses were earplugs and that the RV units are noisy. Well, it is 2 years later, so I curious to see what other peoples experiences are.

I have a Airxcel 48000 series model in the camper. It is no longer made but I did send an email asking what the decibel level is. I also saw a brochure for an Atwood that had a graph of sound levels and it looks like they are around 55 db on low. See attached brochure.

So, how's everyone feel about their a/c units? Anyone have one of these new Atwoods AC-135? They also claim that it can run on a single 2000W generator.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf air-conditioners-brochure.pdf (767.0 KB, 67 views)
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Dallas Texas

My bedroom unit was real loud - based on the noise it sounded like it was out of balance. I inspected the condenser fan and evaporator coil fan (squirrel cage) for debris or mud dobber nests and found everything was clean. I concluded the motor was worn out. I bought one on-line, replaced it and at the same time installed a better hard start kit.

All is quiet now.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #3

Ours is a bit noisy as well. No unusual noises, just the typical A/C sound, similar to a window unit in a house. If we're out long enough, we eventually get used to it, so we try to sleep with the windows open as much as possible.
ptt87 is offline   Reply With Quote