Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2014, 12:56 AM   #1

Air conditioner very loud. Mine was put together wrong.

The air conditioner in my Rockwood 2306 was loud. We thought that it was because we had a larger unit put in. It is a Coleman Mach. We just cranked up the TV sound when the air came on. After one season of this I decided to do what I can to sound proof it. I have a background in sound engineering and by God I was going to do something about this. I took off the intake cover (the cover over the air filter) to listen to it while it was running. It was quite loud in there and when I put my hand into the opening a little it was blasted with a stream of air. What? Where is this air coming from, this is the intake and I should only feel at best a very slight draw of air up into the opening. The air was coming from the output side going under what should have been a wall divider between the intake and output. The wall barrier should come down and meet up with a slight extrusion in the cover to the unit. In essence the output should not be blowing anywhere except the ducts and if open the quick cool vents. I could see a large gap at the bottom of the barrier wall and it was about a half an inch. The air was just whistling through that gap.

I removed the inside cover to the unit and after just a little look around found that the barrier wall between the intake and output was mounted backwards. Took out the 4 screws holding it in place an rotated 180 degrees. There were actually screw holes where it should have been! Once turned around the bottom of the divider wall got moved over about half and inch and now matched up with the part in the cover and made an air tight seal. No air was rushing under that divider anymore. Much, much quieter.

If you have noisy air you might want to remove the cover to the intake and run the fan and see if you feel air rushing under the divider wall.
See photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fix-air-cond-noise-befor-after.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	65581  
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:24 AM   #2
Just a member

Come to think of it... ours is kinda loud too. Gonna check that out - thanks for sharing!

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:16 AM   #3

Make me wounder if anyone at the factory reads instructions before installing something. thanks for the info.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #4

I just realized that on the bottom row of photos (the side view) of before and after, the after photo is the wrong one. It is actually a before photo but slightly off angle. You can get the point and the top row pics are accurate. Again, just in case anyone with sharp eyes notices.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #5

Considering you have a background in sound engineering, have you given any thought to upgrading the sound system?
Ham_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #6

That's odd... We had a 2014 2306 with the Coleman 15k... It was way quieter than our current Dometic 13.5. We actually considered pulling it and switching back to the Coleman.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-31-2014, 01:14 AM   #7
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
I just realized that on the bottom row of photos (the side view) of before and after, the after photo is the wrong one. It is actually a before photo but slightly off angle. You can get the point and the top row pics are accurate. Again, just in case anyone with sharp eyes notices.
Wondered about that. The divider, relative to the caulk, appears to be in the same position for the two shots - just different angle. Thx!

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner