Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2016, 06:19 PM   #1

Air Conditioners

Does anyone have any experience with ATWOOD air conditioners ??

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #2

Just go online and look at customer reviews from a few different sits. Not the best track record. But neither has Dometic lately.
hughd033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
Carknocker Family

Was looking to buy an Atwood, then saw that they were bought out by Dometic.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #4

I have decided to go Dometic for the weight ,74 lbs. In the past I have had good luck with Dometic but things can change .

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Old 07-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
Land of the Midnightsun

Ac install 300 ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonz View Post
I have decided to go Dometic for the weight ,74 lbs. In the past I have had good luck with Dometic but things can change .
HI tbonz and Aaron ( I know you'll see this to ) I got our 2nd ac installed over bedroom. Nerve racking because was in dark about how to run power to ac but good news you can run threw roof come down behind tv then on down behind droors . Pop out on top of water tank then go into large storage bend on side of Moho then out water drain hole. Then come out of the cap that is made to crank spare tire down with. But backing up to beginning. I went with dometic 13,500 btu low pro penguin II it matchies original ac. And ordered inside venting separate of course. Then a roll of eturnabond roofing tape. ( a must do not start with out it) 4" X 10' is perfect. I started on inside with vent pretty straight forward don't forget to pull screw out of crank handle then undo wires. Out it comes. Went up to roof. Was able to take out screws without scraping caulk of ( 104 temp outside so soft ) after all screws out took putty knife and cut vent loose from caulk. Vent came off no prob. Then very carefully scrape as much putty off roof as u can. ( don't tear roof but that is where eturnabond tape come in ) then laid down eturnabond tape around vent opening on roof , now u can see that front of vent cut out is somewhat open. There is a tunnel in styrofoam going to the right ( bedroom tv side ) good new. So I ran my electric cord threw tunnel and pulled back out for a measurement and I believe it goes all the way to wall. It seems straight so I held my breath and took hole saw and drilled 1 1/2 inch hole in roof behind tv And hit tunnel dead on. So for me that was the worst part. I drilled closer to tv staying away from the wall then drilled another hole behind tv working cord behind droors then pulled middle black pannel at bottom being able to see water tank drilled another hole missing tank then another hole into side storage Ben then noticed water drain hole in bottom of Ben I was home free. I went to lowes bought 2 heavy 15 amp 25' extension cords. Took one cut off end and ran it backwards back up to ac. Starting in the acces entry for the spare tire crank going up threw Ben drain and back up threw the holes I drilled. It worked out great. So now when using ac. I just open flap for spare tire crank pull out plug couple inches and use other drop cord I purchased to plug into power plug . It took me all day but it was 106 outside but the hardest part was getting ac on roof. Hope this helps I ran cord best I could to keep hidden. Might be other routs but found this way worked for me.
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:07 AM   #6
Land of the Midnightsun

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	113889

Inside vent off. Not bad wires unplug easy
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
Land of the Midnightsun

Views:	138
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	113890

Outside vent off. Take time. Scrape putty off. EASY!

You can see wires in front of vent opening. Your tunnel is to the right. Other 3 sides r solid aluminum. Wood type sheets top and bottom. Foam about 5 inches thick
Old 07-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #8
Land of the Midnightsun

Views:	142
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	113892

Lay your eturnabond tape around opening and roll the crap out of it. When laying tape do not stretch it just lay it out. Super sticky. Will make nice seal to ac while water proofing all areas around vent opening.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #9
Land of the Midnightsun

Views:	135
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	113898

Then get it in your head your 30 yrs old and carry ac up ladder and gently set ac over vent hole
Old 07-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #10
Land of the Midnightsun

Views:	139
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	113905

Get your outside ac lined up over vent opening. Wire it up only. 3 wires. Put on inside base and cover. And your set. Sit back and wait for big smooth from wife. I got 2 !!!
Old 07-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #11
Land of the Midnightsun

Views:	101
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	113906

Pull out plug when in need of extra ac , push back in when not needed
Old 07-12-2016, 11:16 AM   #12
Land of the Midnightsun

Forgot to mention I did order ac and inside vent system also eturnabond tape from Amazon delivered quick no damage or scratches. Was nervous but was fine
Old 07-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #13

Good job jj,, did you use the eterna bond in addition to the supplied seal? I plan to run my power cord out the floor and over to the left rear storage bin..and a hole out the bottom to run the plug out. I am trying to decide how to get the unit on top. I am 62 and may have trouble convincing me that I am 30!!!!!!Also found some extra storage space under the bed..!!! A big deal in this unit !!

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Old 07-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #14
Land of the Midnightsun

One other tip tbonz I did today was I removed original ac inside vent ( main one ) and took rags and plugged duct work going to rear of Moho so all cool air is moving foward from that unit. Another huge difference. There is some air moving now threw 4 front ceiling vents and new bedroom ac covers plenty cold air in rear
Old 07-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #15
Land of the Midnightsun

Yes absolutely use the eturnabond around vent opening. It will give seal on ac a very smooth surface. I was poking around YouTube and watch guy install ac on 5th wheel and I'm so glad I caught that or your seal from just ac on roof that has had caulk scraped off wouldn't be very good
Old 07-13-2016, 05:39 AM   #16
World Wide Wanderer

Excellent!

I hope I don't have to do this mod, but at least someone has done it so we have an idea of what to follow. I actually keep a good sized roll of OMG EverSeal® - OMG Roofing Products on hand for work, so a few pieces find there way into my projects.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner