Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #1
Denver, CO

Air Conditioning and the Honda EU2000i

FINALLY an absolute solution to the dilema. I've been working on this A LONG time and have start capacitored and fan delayed myself to distraction and up here at 6000 feet just could not get my Honda 2000 generator to consistently start my A/C unit. It usually would start it the first time, but eventually the head pressure on the compressor during restart would overload. The locked rotor amps on my Dometic was like 47 amps in the spec. manual.

I was surfin YOUTUBE and watching a little piece by the Wynn's (Gone with the Wynn's) and they made a brief mention of the "soft start microporcessor device" made by MicroAir in Pennsylvania that claims they can reduce starting amp draw by 70%.

Voila, I ordered (not cheap) their EasyStart 3T Model 364, and installed it today (only 4 wires).

Now the A/C starts VERY Easily (the Eco mode barely comes out of operation) and I can even run most of the other stuff in the camper without even thinking about it.

The tech support is unbelievably good, they even sent me a specific diagram of exactly how to wire the unit on my specific Dometic model.

No more lugging around 2 generators just to start the AC unit.

Might be an idea for those that want to use their AC and not lug down their generator or carry a big genny or two, I think it should work fine on a large variety of AC's and gennys'

I am impressed to say the least.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
Denver, CO

Air Conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
FINALLY an absolute solution to the dilema. I've been working on this A LONG time and have start capacitored and fan delayed myself to distraction and up here at 6000 feet just could not get my Honda 2000 generator to consistently start my A/C unit. It usually would start it the first time, but eventually the head pressure on the compressor during restart would overload. The locked rotor amps on my Dometic was like 47 amps in the spec. manual.

I was surfin YOUTUBE and watching a little piece by the Wynn's (Gone with the Wynn's) and they made a brief mention of the "soft start microporcessor device" made by MicroAir in Pennsylvania that claims they can reduce starting amp draw by 70%.

Voila, I ordered (not cheap) their EasyStart 3T Model 364, and installed it today (only 4 wires).

Now the A/C starts VERY Easily (the Eco mode barely comes out of operation) and I can even run most of the other stuff in the camper without even thinking about it.

The tech support is unbelievably good, they even sent me a specific diagram of exactly how to wire the unit on my specific Dometic model.

No more lugging around 2 generators just to start the AC unit.

Might be an idea for those that want to use their AC and not lug down their generator or carry a big genny or two, I think it should work fine on a large variety of AC's and gennys'

I am impressed to say the least.
DUH>
Old 03-06-2016, 12:06 AM   #3

Could you tell us what size A/C unit you are using this with? Also could tell a little more about wiring it?
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:44 AM   #4
I go RV'ing not Camping

Brilliant
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:49 AM   #5

Sounds interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Pill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #6

Can you send the YouTube link?
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #7

Terrific. Thanks for the info, this is what I'm looking for.
ablindmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #8

312QBUD Owner here and would be very interested in this application. Can you provide the instructions that were given to you and the specific Dometic A/C unit?
jburroughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #9

How much was the soft start microprocessor?
booniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #10

Micro-Air

Thanks for the idea for a modification.
Every time I see an idea I like I can picture the bux flying out of my wallet...

Here are the links I found for the product:

Main website
Micro-Air - Home

Web store
https://id144248.webhosting.optonlin...ager/index.php

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #11

If that will work I want one, my Honda 3000I Handi won't run the ac on my Cedar Creek when it cycles here in Arkansas ar 200 ft elevation and 90/100 degrees
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #12

Thanks for the info vasnipe
booniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #13

Do you have to change the triac with a relay
twags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #14

@ Garbonz - your post sounded as if you might have tried other capacitors before this one. If so, which ones? I just installed the Supco SPP6 and a fan delay @ 9 sec and did notice an improvement over stock setup. It was a simple 2 wire but would be interested if this one is even better (some mixed reviews on the internet about the SPP6). I'm running a Coleman-Mach 15k.

Thanks!
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBean7672 View Post
@ Garbonz - your post sounded as if you might have tried other capacitors before this one. If so, which ones? I just installed the Supco SPP6 and a fan delay @ 9 sec and did notice an improvement over stock setup. It was a simple 2 wire but would be interested if this one is even better (some mixed reviews on the internet about the SPP6). I'm running a Coleman-Mach 15k.

Thanks!
I was looking at the 3T soft starter from MicroAir and on the installation there's a note that you have to change to a relay, do you have any info on that.

Terry
twags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #16

Gadget

Cool gadget
ksmith954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #17
Denver, CO

Oh Boy Lots of good questions here, and I would mostly direct you to the Micro Air web site and their tech support.

I don't think you need anything other than the device they have that I mentioned which is rated for more than anything in the RV world. They are not exclusively an RV outfit but have a variety of applications so some of the information on relays and such are for complex devices.

I have a 9K BTU dometic, but I think this device will work on anything you got. I don't know if it will definitely work on a 15K RV AC with the honda 200i, since I havn't tested that, but I wouldn't be suprized if it did.

In my experiance the 2000i bogged down horribly (with a dometic hard start capacitor) if it started at all and with this device installed it barely came up out of eco mode. I should put my loop meter on the feed to see what it actually is drawing on start up, but it certainly is WAY less than the 2000i can handle, and remember I am at over 6000ft and running propane so I am depowered by 10% or more.

The wiring is 4 wires and replaces the PCTR and Start capacitor. Here is the specific wiring diagram they sent me based on the manual that I scaned and sent them. It was a piece of cake and took less than an hour.

Hope this answered some of your questions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic Penguin EasyStart Wiring Diagram (2).pdf (143.7 KB, 386 views)
Old 03-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #18
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado2500HD View Post
Could you tell us what size A/C unit you are using this with? Also could tell a little more about wiring it?
I posted the answer in a separate post.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #19
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lckeehne View Post
Can you send the YouTube link?
Here's the link: Most of the video is on the use of off grid solar and batteries for Air Conditioning, but they mention the soft start product, but they did not actually use try it yet.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #20
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by twags View Post
Do you have to change the triac with a relay
Donno, but they will, give them a call or Email. They seem to stay up all night and answer questions.