Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
GRD

Air Conditioning trips breaker

The air conditioner in our new work & play continues to trip the breaker. It works fine until the compressor kicks back on and the breaker trips. Had it in for warranty work and the repair facility went so far as to replace the whole ac unit. Still tripping breaker. Bad news when we are camping in Florida in the summer. The repair facility now will be replacing the breaker. If that doesn't work I don't know what else it could be. Any suggestions out there?
GRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
MI Camperz

Are you camping in the same spot all the time? If so, perhaps it's the CG electrical box. This was happening to us and they tested the box and it was weak. Once it was replaced, it was worlds better.
Also, we trip breakers if running too many things at once (30 amp),
especially the toaster for some reason. Hope you get it resolved soon. I would think a good electrician could figure it out. Our CG only sends certified electricians out for these matters.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
GRD

It does it at home on a dedicated 30 amp circuit and at the repair facility and this weekend at the camp ground. It trips with nothing else in the camper running. Hoping that replacing the breaker will solve the problem.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRD View Post
It does it at home on a dedicated 30 amp circuit and at the repair facility and this weekend at the camp ground. It trips with nothing else in the camper running. Hoping that replacing the breaker will solve the problem.
My partially educated guess is on the breaker also (branch breaker), its the only common denominator in the chain. New AC same result. Only other idea is the cable is too small, that's very doubtful however. If you have or can purchase very inexpensively a clamp on ammeter and watch current rise when the compressor starts. Just clamp onto black ac wire at the AC box or open the panel in your RV and clamp the black wire coming from AC power supply (mabe outer panel and small protection panel inside must be removed 2 screws. You watch the meter while someone starts ac. Current will be 4-5 times its rated maybe 11 amps for a short time and then back off. The breaker rated at 20 amps should hold that inrush current easily for 30 seconds or more. If it trips under these conditions its a "weak breaker". Normal start up surge only last for 10 seconds or less.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:

I assume when you say the A/C is tripping the breaker you mean the one inside your RV that runs the A/C unit, and not the breaker protecting the 30 amp outlet you are plugged into?

If tripping the main 30 amp breaker, are you sure you don't have the water heater running on electric unbeknownst to you, since this switch can sometimes only be accessed from the outside of the RV?

I'm just throwing ideas out, but would think a RV repair place would have checked that initially before replacing an A/C unit, as well as amperage draws.......................but you never know.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
GRD

Replacing the 20 amp breaker fixed the problem. Thanks to everyone for your input.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Replacing the 20 amp breaker fixed the problem. Thanks to everyone for your input.
Shame on the dealer! The breaker swap is a lot cheaper than the ac plant, oh well, glad its fixed.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #8

That's what I was thinking. I can't believe they wasted an AC unit before they tried a new breaker! The owner should have words with the service manager.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote