Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 06:36 AM   #1

Air conditioning unit dripping

Have a new 31l5 and both air conditioning unit are dripping what appears to be condensation. I don't know how to stop this
excoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by excoppa View Post
Have a new 31l5 and both air conditioning unit are dripping what appears to be condensation. I don't know how to stop this
Let's see -- both units are at the same humid location? Tell me it ain't so! [emoji4]
Only way to stop is to turn both off. It is what it is!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Let's see -- both units are at the same humid location? Tell me it ain't so! [emoji4]
Only way to stop is to turn both off. It is what it is!
Well I just read that if you keep the fan on high that should help.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:06 AM   #4

Is it dripping inside or out?
spydunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #5

Inside. Take out the filter and it's soaked. Yesterday it was the rear air, shut it off, and now the front is doing it. Very high humidity.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:08 AM   #6

sometimes the internal parts of the cool AC will condense water from the humid internal air... as the trailer cools it should lessen then stop as less humidity is inside the trailer

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:08 AM   #7

Thanks
Old 08-10-2017, 07:34 AM   #8

Had the same issue when mine was new. Defective / Improperly mounted seal letting condensation into unit instead of outside. Just a thought.
Mike Tav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:38 AM   #9

The condensate should run off the roof , at least mine does .
So it probably is the seal.
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:09 AM   #10
2017 Windjammer 3029w

Outside is normal, but should not get condensation dripping from inside of your RV. There are four bolts that can be tightened inside of cover to tighten the seal but if seal is broken, you may need to bring in shop. Both units hoeever sounds strange that both do it at same time. You can Youtube tightening the four bolts to see if tightening would help by searching on changing out the seal and will try to tighten same four bolts to tighten on the seals. If loose, that may resolve but if nor loose, you may need to change seals. Can also verify the outside condensate pan holes are not plugged and clean pan if necessary, but involves taking apart the plennum.
Dastagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:21 AM   #11
Site Team

Is there water running off the roof as well. There are small holes in the pan under the cooling coils that catch the water and allow it to run onto the roof. If these get blocked, the water can run inside. Also if it is very humid and the unit ices up it can do this. When you first set up and the inside humidity is high, run the units with the dump vent full open. Once the inside humidity goes down, then close the dump vent and use the ducts. You need to get on the roof and remove the outside cover to check these.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by excoppa View Post
The condensation drain plug that allows the unit to drain on the roof may be blocked up. Mud daubers love to block up small holes.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #13

Usually, if you are running into the same problem with both, it is likely too much moisture in the air in your RV. By all means, if you have time, still have someone look at it. Everything doesn't always fit nicely into a certain category or problem.

If it moisture condensing on the vents from the high humidity in the RV, you need to find ways to keep the RV closed up, so the A/C can help remove that moisture. We have friends, who like to keep their door open (just use the screen door) AND still run their A/C. The inside of their RV is quite humid all the time and they get a lot of condensation on their vents.

Kids running in and out are a problem, too. Every time you open the door, the cold (drier) air runs out the bottom of the door and the warmer (more humid) air rushes in the top.

Taking showers in the RV also raises the internal moisture level. After we shower, we immediately wipe down the shower with a chamois. Then hang the chamois and the towels outside to dry. This takes some of the moisture out of what would normally stay inside the RV.

Try to keep the doors closed as much as possible (no open windows, either). If that doesn't help as much as you'd like, look at getting a dehumidifier.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #14

Had this same problem last year while in Florida. The bedroom unit was leaking right on the bed. Had to shut unit off. When I got home, I got on the roof and removed the a/c cover and found that the holes in the drip pan that allows condensation to run off the roof were stopped top with debris. The holes, I thought, were rather small, so I got a short piece of heavy gauge wire and cleaned them out. Then I took my drill and drilled out the existing hole slightly larger than original size...(place a piece of wood or metal under the hole so as to to drill into roof of RV)...and problem was solved. Hasn't leaked since.
Tirebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirebuilder View Post
Had this same problem last year while in Florida. The bedroom unit was leaking right on the bed. Had to shut unit off. When I got home, I got on the roof and removed the a/c cover and found that the holes in the drip pan that allows condensation to run off the roof were stopped top with debris. The holes, I thought, were rather small, so I got a short piece of heavy gauge wire and cleaned them out. Then I took my drill and drilled out the existing hole slightly larger than original size...(place a piece of wood or metal under the hole so as to to drill into roof of RV)...and problem was solved. Hasn't leaked since.
Thanks, I'll check when I get home
Old 08-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #16

Robin&jan

All good suggestions, we found keeping the filters clean helped and found the divider between incoming warm air and cool air going to ducts was not secured, I had to remove the cover that holds the filters to get at it and used foil tape to secure it in place. It was just exhausting the cool air back thru the unit instead of thru the ducts. A much easier fix than getting on the roof! We also run a dehumidifier in Alabama, makes a world of difference.
Robin and Jan with Ziva is offline   Reply With Quote