Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 10:05 PM   #1

airconditioner and furnace issues for 2015 forester 3171 RV

Friday while using my RV we were running the air conditioner due to hot weather. Set thermostat and initially worked properly. Later in the evening the air conditioner continued to run even though it had cooled off and thermostat should have cycled off. the unit then ran all night until I turned the unit completely off by setting thermostat to off. Next day cold front moves in and temp drops to where heat is required. set thermostat to heat pump setting and nothing but cool air blowing. set to furnace and furnace ignites but air cold air is blowing through roof vents while furnace is blowing hot air out of floor vents. Unit still will not cut off when reaching proper temp. No idea what to do.
philliprobertson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #2

Set the thermostat to fan and select AUTO, this should solve your problem.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #3
2012 Solera

If you have a Dometic thermostat, set it to "fan", then use the "+" and "-" buttons to choose "AU" (auto). Fan set to "Hi" or "Lo" will run continuously on either heat or cool. On cool, the aircon compressor will cycle on and off with temperature, but the fan will keep running. Will seem like the aircon never cycles off. "Circulates" the air. On heat, with the furnace running, aircon fan on Hi or Lo will run continuously, again circulating the air but as the hot air from the furnace comes from the furnace floor vents, it will be circulating the cooler air near the ceiling. On AU (auto) the fan will cycle on and off with the AC compressor on cool, will stay off on heat.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #4

Hey guys thanks for the tips on the thermostat. It is a dometic and fan was set on high. I set it back to auto.
philliprobertson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

You may run into this furnace issue someday.

I recently took my propane tanks to a fill depot for refill. I hooked them back up and opened the valves as usual. Later that night the temps dropped and the furnace wouldn't come on. So I read the manual (of course first tried to impress the wife that I knew the proplem, I didn't). The problem was the pressure valves in the system. It's a simple fix.

1) Turn off the tank valves, wait 5 secs then turn them on.
2) Set thermostat to Furnace, Auto, manual raise the temperature to about 80 deg
3) Sit down on the 5er steps and put your hand at the heat output vent and feel the air as the furnace blower kicks on. Let it run a couple of minutes
4) Set thermostat to OFF and let it shut down.
5) Set thermostat to Furnace, Auto, manual raise to about 80
6) When you feel the heat coming out, go ahead and adjust down to normal temp
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, furnace